Should I buy new $999 MB or Buy Refurbished previous versio MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdmc949, Oct 30, 2008.

1. gdmc949 macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac and would like to know whether I should buy the new white Macbook at $999 or buy the previous version as a refurbished Macbook?

This machine would be for my wife. Mostly web browsing, loading photos, creating slideshows etc.

I should add that we have another machine at home that has firewire so I am not concerned over the lack of support in the new model.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The $999 version is a new previous model white MacBook with a SuperDrive (Reads and Writes DVDs and CDs)

The refurb white MacBook costs $849 and comes with a Combo Drive (Reads DVDs and Writes CDs)

Also, if this is a gift, just so you know, new Macs come in nice packaging while refurbs come in brown boxes and are only available in the online store.

My girlfriend's iBook broke last night. We ordered a refurb MacBook because she does not need to burn DVDs and would rather save the $150.

3. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the "new" white macbook at 999 is just the same as the previous version. It also still has firewire. The new aluminum macbook does not have firewire. If you can find a refurb cheaper with the same specs, go for it, otherwise 999 is not a bad price.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd only get the older plastic MacBook from Apple's refurbished page instead of the "new" 2.1 GHz model.

With the money you save you can get 4 GB of RAM (US$54) or a huge hard drive. (US$99-149)

5. gdmc949 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thats decided. Refurbished version it is.

Thanks everyone