Should I buy retina or non-retina? w/Apple offered discounts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parth6512, Aug 16, 2012.

1. parth6512 macrumors member

I bought a refurbished unibody macbook pro but have had problems since I bought it. So I called Apple and they told me to return that unit and they will offer me 10% + $100 off any new unit.

Here is the break down of the cost after taxes and discounts (10% + $100):

2.3 Ghz Base Non-Retina Mid-2012 - $1653
    2.3 Ghz Retina Base - $2044

Along with the discount, CR rep offered me free $200 worth of accessories for the inconvenience. Would it be better to buy the retina to future proof my purchase or go with the non-retina model. Im an Engineering student and will need both Windows and Mac so VMware is a must. I will also be running few math intensive apps such as Autocad, Mathcad, Maplesoft and such. I listen to lot of music and watch tons of videos on my free time. Im assuming with retina model, I can play high-def videos on there too.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

both machines are amazing. I was skeptical about the rMBP because of all the horror stories Ive read, but I decided to give it a try since I had 14 days to return it anyway.

Needless to say, Its amazing and I love it. I thankfully have 0 issues with mine thus far. I still think the cMBP is amazing too, especially if you get the High-Res 1680x1050 display.

I put it this way, I was going to get a base cMBP because of the price. Then after thinking, I realize after buying 16GB 1600MHz ram on newegg.com for $110 and the $90 screen upgrade (total $200), I could get the base rMBP with 16GB added ram for $180 and have better resolution.

Also, I didnt want the rMBP because I wanted to add a 2nd HDD in the optibay of the cMBP, but I decided a USB3.0 external HDD would be sufficient enough for my needs. After being on this rMBP, Im so glad I got it. Its amazing.

I had a 2011 High-End MBP w/ High-Res Screen and it was amazing, the rMBP is even more amazing to me. I never need an optical drive and if I do, I have an External Samsung USB DVD-Burner. The 25% reduction in size was nice, but not THAT dramatic if measured in inches, .96 to .71 is it?

I actually like that the USB ports on the rMBP are on opposite sides because I always found that when they are right next to each other (like on the cMBP) fitting two USB items in at once may be tricky or impossible.

3. parth6512 thread starter macrumors member

If I get non-retina, I will be spending money to upgrade RAM and SSD. Previous macbook I owned had high-res display (1680x1050 glossy) which I loved. So going down to 1440x900 would also seem like a downgrade to me. I compared both 1440x900 and 1680x1050 side by side and could really tell difference in workspace. So considering that, I will also spend another $100 to upgrade the screen. Im looking at $250 on top if I go with base model non-retina.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If I had gone with the cMBP I would have dropped another $260, $90 on screen upgrade, $110 on ram, $60 on OWC Data Doubler. I already had a Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD to add to it. After Realizing that for $180 I could still get 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD (built-in/standard) and better resolution, I opted for the rMBP. I dont regret it at all. Being able to do 1400x900, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 is amazing.

I love the weight reduction and thinness too.

5. parth6512 thread starter macrumors member

Seems like wise choice to go with Retina since difference in price after factoring in all those upgrades is really small.

If I decide to go with, retina, are there any negatives?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Getting a bad screen? Thats been the most complaints. I see a lot of users using GFXSTATUSCARD having graphics issues, so dont use that program.

7. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

what did u do with the 2011?

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sold it.

9. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

foor how much?

10. nitromac macrumors 6502

Well, since the BASE Retina is nearly $400 more expensive than the classic and has the same specs (apart from screen and SSD), and then adding the 16GB RAM ($180), you get a total difference of about $420 (since you'd be spending money on the HR screen and RAM for the classic macbook.). If you were to get an SSD (256GB?), the price difference comes down to $200-240. So then it's your choice if the extra lightness and thinness, the screen, and the different ports and whatnot are worth the $200.

Also keep in mind that 256GB isn't really all that much, so you might want to get more (if you go the cMBP route, I highly recommend an Optibay for normal file storage on an HDD and main system/apps on an SSD)

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

$1700

12. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

specs?

sorry im trying to sell my 15" 2011 anti glare 2.0ghz, 4gb ram, 120 intel SSD 520 macbook with spec case.
    mint no scratches.

how much would you say i should sell for?

13. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Are you really happy about your decision? I don't think there is much difference in terms of performance between the late 2011 and mid 2012...

Be aware that the nightmares always occur after the 14 days of trial... :D, so you better test it thoroughly...

14. stevelam macrumors 65816

none of those applications are retina friendly. and neither is any VM for windows or windows itself obviously. prepare to look at a blurry screen if you need to run windows virtually.

playing 'hi-def' video doesnt really matter at this point. by the time actual 4k footage comes along for other media besides a few sample clips online, you'll have long moved onto another computer. current 1080p video is the same as it is on any other screen.

15. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Disagree. The advantages of the Retina aren't as much as you think. You'll notice no speed increase, and the standard MacBook Pros are more versatile as far as options in hard drives and don't require dongles.

16. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Disagree. My friend got a 2012 cMBP and I got the rMBP. So same 3rd gen CPUs and GPUs.

The screen first and for most, is a huge upgrade. 2880x1800 is stunning on a 15.4" screen.

Completely utterly nonsense. Have you used an SSD before? The HDD on my friends 2012 MBP booted the same time as my 4 year old 2008 MacBook. The SSD in my rMBP boots before the spinner comes up under the Apple logo.

17. nitromac macrumors 6502

This is why he mentioned the fact that you have "options" with the drives in a cMBP. You can buy third-party drives and get even faster SSDs than the ones in the current rMBP. (I think they are currently using a modified version of Samsung's 830 series) The SSD in a rMBP is irreplaceable, where as time goes on, SSD manufacturers are consistently improving speed, reliability and performance, thus making the cMBP more future-proof and completely able to perform even more quickly, provided you have the right parts. Plextor recently released their new M5 SSD, which works on smaller 19nm flash technology and is quicker than any other SSD in its class. Other manufacturers will soon follow, and the SSD in the rMBP will eventually become outdated.

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I got lucky with my sell.

2011 early mbp
    2.2ghz i7
    8gb 1600mhz ram
    750gb 7200rpm hdd
    1gb gpu
    High-res antiglare 1680x1050
    8monthz warranty left

19. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Good gods, look at my gods damned signature. I have a 512GB SSD in my 17" MBP and owned a retina MBP for 2 weeks. There is no noticeable performance difference between the two when it comes to boot or use from my experience using pro apps. Sorry bud.

20. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I'm not taking about you. I saw your signature. I'm referring to the two MBP that OP posted.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well with the Retina, you would need to pick your upgrades right now. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would recommend at the very least the 16GB RAM upgrade. For space, you can usually make do with an external drive especially if it's just for movies and music. Depending on how much music, you may be able to put some on the computer. Move only a few videos that you will be watching onto the internal drive. With the Retina, you'll obviously have the resolution advantage. Being able to pick the 1920x1200 scaled option is a game changer for some folks. Of course they would need to update some of these applications for things to really show their true colors. Speaking of colors, you may benefit from the better display panel used in the Retina MacBook Pro.

There are a couple advantages to that regular MacBook Pro. Most importantly, it's much cheaper and easier to upgrade parts. You can upgrade to copious amounts of disk space or choose combination of a smaller fast SSD with an optibay HDD, loads of RAM for cheap. There is also the antiglare option and you don't have to wait for applications to be update for the retina display (if these update ever come).

Except you quoted GoreVidal… ;)

22. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

did u sell on kijiji?

how much do uthink i should ask for mine?