Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by powermac99, Aug 7, 2003.
I'm planning to upgrade to either a 2 GHz G5 or a 15" PB, anyone have any thoughts on the issue?
I could assume portability means nothing to you, and vote A.
I could assume portability means everything to you, and vote B.
I'm sorry for posting "something else," but I don't think that's the best way to decide such a big purchase.
wait a bit longer to see if they update the 15 pb at all. then decide if u want power or portability.
may i ask what u do?
Yeah, with no info on what you'd want from the machine it's hard to say. Of course the DP2GHz G5 will p*ss all over a 1GHz G4 laptop, but if you want to edit on the move then the G5 would be useless!
This is not an A or B question.
Depends on what you are editing on now. What system? What kind of content are you editing?
Editing video on a laptop is not ideal yet unless you HAVE to be away from your main system. Offline and DV will be okay, but it is not ideal as a primary system. If you need to render anything, do any titling, or work with any uncompressed media you will want a desktop based system.
FCP 4 runs really well on a Dual 1.25 G4 so maybe you could get one of those, save some cash, and then get a powerbook in 6 months or so.
I have a dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 and a 12" PowerBook G4.
Great, that doesn't answer our question of what do you actually need Do you need portability etc?
if you can afford the 2ghz g5 get it and then buy a tibook down the road later.
Get the G5. The PowerBooks, even the new ones (whenever they come out), won't be much faster than what you have now. I know as a video editor, speed counts, so the desktop would be the best, and the 'Book you have will suit your needs for a while.
Have you considered selling them both? Or is that how you're getting the money for the new computer? A little more info would help.
Dual 2ghz if you already have 12" and Dual 1.24.
I've decided to get the G5.
a man of few words
Well that was an interesting exercise. You have 2 very new computers (The fastest G4 available and a very effcient notebook) and you can't decide what to buy next?!?!?!?!
Being in the Post Production industry myself, I find it hard to believe that you are a professional video editor. You can't come up with any criteria for why you would need new gear? The rest of us rely on our gear for a living and make educated purchasing decisions based on very specific needs.
At any rate, you are either full of s**t or you must have a lot of expendable cash.
But in case you don't, I think it would be in your best interest to wait until the beginning of next year. The G5 PowerMacs will be using faster processors, there will be a better indication of when a g5 Powerbook will be arriving, your current computers will still be really fast, and will maintain considerable trade in value.