Should I buy the i7 macbook pro now or wait for the rumored 2.8 ghz model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samk8000, Jul 24, 2010.

  1. samk8000 macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #1
    Hi,
    I need help, do I buy the 2.66 ghz Intel core i7 macbook pro or do I wait for the rumored 2.8 ghz i7 macbook pro? I do not need to buy now, but the sooner the better and in a few weeks, I'm going to have to give norton another $100 for more antivirus software. I can still use my desktop pc but I like my laptop because it is so portable, and I could not sit at a desktop for that long because I have to stay still and not go onto the porch or bake a cake. How long is it going to take for the 2.8 ghz i7? I don't really want to pay over $2000 :eek: and it be outdated in a month, but if I have to wait until next november... Yeah, you get it. So what should I do? :apple:
     
  2. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #3
    But that said neutral. Thats why I don't know.
     
  3. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Location:
    Alabama
    #4
    really just depends on your needs. if you need to have the latest and greatest and fastest just to have it - then wait. But unless you are doing some heavy duty editing and graphics work, then you won't notice much of a difference between the 2.66 and the 2.8
     
  4. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #5
    I am planning on doing app design and final cut express. Possibly final cut studio, but not yet...
     
  5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Location:
    Alabama
    #6
    dude, a 2.66 i7 should be able to rock that out! I do lots of editing w/Final Cut Pro 6 on my 13inch. However, my set-up is limiting when it comes to really getting into the other parts of the FCP editing suite - like color and motion.

    however, an i7 would have no problems - 2.66, or 2.8. I'd venture to guess the bump in performance would not outweigh the jump in cost
     
  6. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
  7. ministerofdeath macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    home
    #8
    I'd wait if you can

    There will probaly be a small processor increase but the better deal might be in the price to get to a i7, if its important for the power I'd wait, thats what I'm doing, but I'm in no hurray right now.



    MacBook Pro Targeted 2.8GHz Core i7 Processors Due Later This Year

    Monday May 31, 2010 05:44 AM EST; Category: MacBook Pro
    Written by Arnold Kim

    A newly leaked Intel processor roadmap reveals that the company will be releasing a speed-bumped Core i7 processor this fall. The upcoming Core i7-640M will run at a base frequency of 2.8GHz with "turbo boost" speeds up to 3.46GHz. This new processor draws the same power as the current MacBook Pro processors so should be a natural upgrade for Apple.

    The MacBook Pro presently tops out at 2.66GHz with the Core i7 processor. It is available in both 15" and 17" models. Apple last updated the MacBook Pro this past April. It's unlikely that Apple will refresh the whole lineup this fall, but could offer the new processor as a build-to-order option. They've done these quiet upgrades in the recent past with the the Mac Pro.
     
  8. sadcamper macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    #9
    If you're all about the newest & greatest, wait...but as soon as you buy your 2.8 machine, yet another rumour will abound with a processor speed-jump...
     
  9. rawd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
  10. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #11
    What will the computer be worth in 5 years when I sell it, will the 2.8 be worth a lot more?
     
  11. elleana macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    #12
    Probably a negligible difference in resale value. Unless the 2.8Ghz version comes with more than a speed bump.
     
  12. KarmaRocket macrumors member

    KarmaRocket

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #13
    It's silly to wait.

    If you need it now, then buy it now. If you're concerned about price get a refurbished i7. There are many current models in the apple store even i7 and anti-glare.

    I just bought an i7 17in MBP (anti-glare) and couldn't be happier. I am running Adobe CS5 and Final Cut Studio 3. The speed of the i7 17in MBP is much faster compared to my C2D 15 MBP.

    Personally, I don't think we'll see MBP updates until late this year or early next year. Sandy Bridge will most likely be the next update and that won't arrive until late 2010 or early 2011

    I don't think the 2.8 update won't give you that much of a speed increase to justify the wait.

    The current machines are fast and can handle the load. If you need the machine, buy it now. You'll probably be waiting for a while for an update.
     
  13. whalebiologist macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #14
    Look man, technology advances at a pretty stellar rate, that's the nature of the industry.

    There is always going to be something more powerful and faster around the corner. If you keep waiting for something better to come along, you will never get anything.

    If you need it get it. If you don't then wait until you do need it.
     
  14. tiwizard macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    #15
    Just saying, you might want to check out Microsoft Security Essentials ;) Has worked for me (in fact, it caught a virus Norton didn't)

    Anyways, would you really notice a 200mhz difference between the processors? Unless the update is a quad core... But what do I know, I'm a newb :p
     
  15. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
  16. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #17
    I'm also in the market for a MBP. But as I might be able to hold out a month or two I'll just sit back and wait for the 2.8.

    If memory serves me right, Apple tend to release the MBP's in and around September/October, right?
     
  17. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #18
    But will I get more ram standard, or be able to upgrade to say, 10gb of ram instead of eight, will there be a 1tb hard drive instead of 500gb? Will there be a big overhaul of the whole design. Will it be worth the wait for more than just the processor?
     
  18. moel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    #19
    Christ No.

    I don't see any of that coming until the next PROPER refresh.. none of that will change with a *possible* and the emphasis is massively on *possible* speed bump.

    Sounds to me like you should buy now..and stop whinging.
     
  19. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

    samk8000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Location:
    toronto, ontario
    #20
    I'm just looking at the new iMac that they just released and am thinking that it didn't get a whole overhaul of the design, but the core2duo was updated to i3 and a high end i5 with an i7 upgrade at 2.93ghz. Also it has 256mb of vram for the very base model, 512 for the upgraded 21.5" and base 27", and 1gb of vram for the i5/i7. Maybe apple updated the iMac so that they could upgrade the MacBook pro and wouldn't have to worry about their laptop being just as powerful as the desktop and nobody wanting to buy the iMac.
     

Share This Page