Should I buy the iPad 2 now and then sell it to get the iPad 3 when it is released?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by haphazard, Oct 25, 2011.

  1. haphazard macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2011
    I assume there have been a ton of "should I buy iPad 2 or wait for iPad 3" threads on here, but mine is a bit different so please here me out.

    The rumors (as always with Apple) have the iPad 3 being released in March/April 2012, which is when the iPad 2 was released the previous year. Since there are reports that iPad 3 production have started in early October, these rumors may hold some validity.

    That's about 6 months away and I don't know if I can wait that long. My question is it plausible to buy the iPad 2 and then sell it as soon as the iPad 3 is announced (in order to get the maximum cash back on it) and then use the money to buy the iPad 3? I assume I won't get the full amount back from the iPad 2 so I would probably have to pay the difference in cash (estimating around $100 or so).

    I heard many people did this with the iPad and iPad 2. If you've done it before, how successful were you? Where did you sell your iPad and how much of the cost have you gotten back? Do you think this is a solid plan?

    Thanks in advance for your feedback! :D
  2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020


    Oct 8, 2009
    your question is no different then the millions before it, just buy it use it, and be happy...
  3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816


    Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    The usual "Do you need it NOW? if so- buy it, if not then wait."

    I plan on doing the same thing, I bought my iPad 2 just weeks ago and I love it (coming from iPad) it's amazingly fast and I do not regret it a bit.

    For me it also depends on what the difference is going to be on the specs, if it's not a serious upgrade I'll probably keep mine. If they release siri on iPad 3 and it stays exclusive then I'll make the swap!
  4. bufffilm Suspended


    May 3, 2011
    nope, your thread isn't any different than the previous ones posted. i just love [no, not really] when people think their stories on these "buy now or wait" threads are that much different.

    *if* the ipad3 has a significant upgrade such as a retina display, you and everyone's grandma is probably going to want to unload their ipad.

    retina display or not, expect to lose more than $100 on the difference. there's going to be a ton of used ipads hitting the internet when the ipad3 comes out; you'll have the ipad2 owners who'll want the latest & greatest and the holdover ipad1 owners, who held out on the gen2 and will be getting the gen3.

    it'll be a buyers market for those who haven't bought an ipad by then.
  5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Feb 9, 2011
    ^ This. Nothing new about the "Should I buy X now and sell when Y is released?" idea by a very long shot. What you get depends on a number of factors. The price for a used X isn't set in stone. You'll get what you get.

    Basic economics. They still teach that in school, right? I guess it could have been among the first to be axed by budget cutbacks...
  6. macrumors member

    Oct 22, 2011
    I'd plan on buying one now, and sell it later - or giving it to my parents.

    By it and be happy
  7. haphazard thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2011
    lol, I suppose my thread isn't all that different. Sorry for rehashing. :p

    I just wanted to make sure if it was a plausible plan. I'll go the Apple Store and play around with the iPad 2 again and make my final decision. I can always sell it later if the iPad 3 has significant improvements (which I hope it gets Siri and a Retina display) or give it to my parents like someone said.

    Thanks for your input. :apple:
  8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Your plan is more plausible if you sell it in February which should be around a month before the 3 comes out.
  9. mncmoore macrumors regular


    Sep 4, 2008
    I just bought one Sunday and plan on doing the same.
  10. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

    Nov 16, 2006
    Youd think they could set up a filter for these threads to automatically shove them in the wasteland.
  11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Each time you reply to a thread you are not interested in it is sent to the top.
  12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

    Nov 16, 2006
    Wow, really? I never knew that! Thank you so much for telling me such important information
  13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Just trying to help. Since you were driving threads you dislike to the top of the list its obvious you didn't know.
  14. Blakjack macrumors 68000


    Jun 23, 2009
    Buy now sell later. It's a very common thing to do around here. Keep it in pristine condition and when the time comes, hock that sucker. Forget about the people who say buy it,use it, and be happy.

    Everybody already does what you are asking.
  15. rocknblogger macrumors 68020


    Apr 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    If you have the money now, buy it. You never know what the future may hold.

    I just sold my first iPad for $300. I may have been able to get more if I waited and posted it up on Craigslist. With that said don't expect to get $400 but if you do then great. Expect the worst and hope for the best.
  16. ltb7 macrumors 6502


    Nov 5, 2010
    the beach
    with the kindle fire at $200, they may be a large price drop on the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out....i guess only time will tell while apple waits to see what happens over at amazon

    in addition the iPhone prices have drastically dropped....i never thought any iPhone would be free!

    if your are going to get an iPad, get one this week as both target + walmart are running promos with gift cards

    where do y'all think is the best place to sell a used iPad? craigslist?

    anyone have luck with any trade in programs?

Share This Page