Should I buy the iphone 4? Are the problems with it big enough to not get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anytif, Jul 31, 2010.

1. anytif macrumors newbie

So i've heard some really poor things about the iphone, but I'm keen as to get one...
    Should I wait and get the next one?
    OR
    Is there no real risk of getting the current?
    Thanks guys :)

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Heads = don't get one
    Tails = get one

*flips a coin*

Heads it is.

3. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

I was in your shoes just 3 weeks ago.

Firstly this may not be you as well but I much prefer the look of the 3G/3GS. Secondly whilst I believe the signal issues are somewhat overblown I believe that Apple have outlined one of the main features to be iOS 4. Something fully compatible to run with the 3GS. Lastly I think that it's "retina display" is slightly misleading. I was in an o2 store the other day playing with the new iPhone and compared it to mine. The main display difference is in the home screen icons. I could see minor improvements elsewhere but not enough. the pull of ANY new iPhome is HUGEE I KNOW!! My advice: hold out! cling on! That's what i'm doing

fingers crossed for next year!

4. Schweitzer macrumors regular

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes. That way there will be more iPhone 4's for me.

More I say.

6. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have an idea, stop reading, go out and buy the iPhone 4, and decide for yourself whether or not it was worth it. ;)

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I did hear something about the return policy. Rather favorable I gather.

You'll get vitriol and drama here at MR. Find out for yourself if the issues are overblown and let us know in 30 days how you fared.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If you have a 3GS, the iP4 isn't worth the upgrade outside of the screen.

Otherwise, get one.

9. Burntfender macrumors member

For me at least, attenna "problem" isn't a huge deal for me. If I touch that spot I may lose one bar, but more often I don't lose any. My 3GS loses more bars than my 4 when I grip it. It all depends on the reception quality you have in your area I guess. And the retina display is not just a gimmick, the real difference is in reading text on the net or in apps. It's just so much clearer than what it was. I am incredibly happy with mine, so I'd recommend anyone to get one :)

10. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 is NOT recommended at this stage unless it gets a reasonably robust, working antenna

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Buy it and try it out for 30 days. If you don't like it, take it back. Everyone has that offer, though very few are actually returning them. That tells me that most people are having similar experiences as me- great. The antenna hype is an absolute non issue for me. I'm sure this has something to do with the area I live in- I don't doubt some people are indeed having issues but I'm not experiencing any. The proximity sensor has been an issue for me but it's not something I can't work thru until the software update comes out.

Basically, apples giving you a free test ride, take advantage of it and see for yourself firsthand. My guess is you WON'T be returning it but it's nice to have that option.

12. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

I have to respectfully disagree. The difference between the 3gs and the 4, display wise, is HUUUUGE. Did you look at anything other then the icons? How about some text?

I am thoroughly confused by your statement since it's probably the first time I've ever heard anyone utter it :confused:

13. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I agree with you. the new display is much better than the earlier display. And noticeably better as well.

Dude, enough already. Bold and big?:rolleyes:

Is this your mission from god or something?

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you can afford to buy it (try it), go for it. You have 30 days to return it, if you're satisfied after that period, port your number over. Personally, I would wait until next year's revision.

15. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Finally someone with some sense.

::applauds::

16. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Dont Buy It

So I can buy more... lol.

It is officially sold out in Canada. I picked up 2 yesterday and my friend got the 3rd to last one this afternoon.

They have no expected delivery of next shipment.

I am debating if I should sell it at a premium or open the box and start using it for my wife and I since we got 2 :)

17. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Coming from a 3G, I am very happy with mine and would recommend others to get it as well.

18. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yes, a bulkier, cheaper looking/feeling plastic design with an extremely scratch prone aluminum bezel is definitely better than a thinner design with aluminosilicate glass and forged alloy.

Minus the ability for any application to ever make use of:
    - 512mb RAM
    - 1GHz processor
    - gyroscope
    - higher resolution camera sensor with 720p HD video recording
    - noise cancellation mic
    - faster UL's and DL's via 802.11N wifi and HSUPA
    - more accurate GPS
    - LED flash
    - front facing camera

Compared to the iPhone 4, iOS4 and its potential are slightly limited on the 3GS, no?

You can't tell the immense difference between the outdated, 163 ppi, HVGA, 3 year old, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation iPhone 480x320 display versus the iPhone 4's new 960x640, 326 ppi, LED backlit LCD screen? There's a problem.

Ya sure know what to look for! :rolleyes:

19. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

It's the best phone they've tested and ranks #1 on their list of smart phones.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/12...tes-iphone-4-highest-amongst-all-smartphones/

Exactly. Thank you

20. Fissure macrumors 6502

I'm torn, I have a 3GS 32 and it does everything fine.

I could sell the 3GS for the same and probably more than a new iPhone 4 32 would cost me so affordability isn't the issue.

The issue is I don't think the iPhone 4 will deliver that much more than what I currently have with the 3GS. The only feature I feel pulling me towards it is the new Screen. It's pretty stunning. I watched parts of a movie on a friends and it was very impressive. But, arguments aside, I do feel the Antenna issue is real and a concern for me. My ATT coverage is good in my area but why chance the hassle (buy, return, etc. etc.). So my current thoughts are this.

I'll upgrade next year when a new model comes out but only if Apple:

1) Resolves the Antenna issue once and for all (either through a design change or some kind of coating around the bands).

2) This is a BIG one. It's time for a UI change. IOS is looking rather baby-ish and too simplistic when compared to Android. There needs to be a REAL home screen with widgets. It's all software so it's really just a matter of development time and testing that Apple needs to do. I grow tired of screen upon screen of the same looking blocky icons. Apple needs to "innovate" again and bring a new UI to the table. The UI's stayed basically the same for almost 3 years now. Apple, make a TRUE, USEFUL Homescreen, you can keep the blocky App icons as long as they're on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. screens.

21. applekiwipeach macrumors member

It's my first iPhone and I absolutely love it.
    Yes, covering the little black strip does reduce signal bars, usually from 5 to 1 here in a few seconds, but I live in a strong AT&T network area. As soon as it reaches 1 bar, it goes up to full again. I never had a dropped call.

What surprised me was, I could make phone calls and hear no noises or pauses under only 1 bar.

I'm the kind who would never use such an exquisite phone without a case. I'd worry it'll surely slip my hand at some point... having to use a case anyway, the signal really becomes a "non-issue."

No other potential problems that I can think of. It's a good toy, i mean phone. :D

22. wwjbd24 macrumors member

take a dive and do it. i see you reposting in this thread wondering why you waited so long :D

23. Worf macrumors regular

Ehh I disagree, strongly. If it ain't broke don't fix it. iOS is meant to be a simple OS and easy for anyone to pickup within 5 minutes or so of using it. Why do you think it sells so much? Its a business model that has WORKED and been adapted throughout Apple's line of products. It takes much more time to adjust to Android. While Android does have iOS beat with things such as free tethering and Widgets ... its appeal is mostly towards power users and tech enthusiasts. Have you ever thought why Android phones tends to have a subpar battery performance and standby time? Widgets are one reason. Widgets drain battery and stay running like alot of android tasks in the background. This battery drainage also explains why live wallpapers aren't allowed yet in iOS. I'm sure for iOS 5, the new innovative features that Apple is going to bring to the table is a brand new notification system, as they've hired a Palm notification guru and Widgets! I'm sure Apple will have an option in settings to set how often widgets do update as it would save battery life and be in line with Apple's stance on privacy.

Android still feels like a long running beta - too many apps are not compatible with all Android phone, fragmentation is an upcoming issue, and most phones receive updates usually only once after launch. If Google wants to keep users happy they have to work with Phone Manufacturers to make sure that they don't alter software at all.

Another sad thing, Jobs said that when they started to build the iOS software for the iPad, they realized it could be used for a Phone and they decided to tackle that important market before releasing the iPad. Google currently discourages any Android tablet makers from releasing tablets, especially those including its Android Market. If Google wants to keep up with Apple they better find a way to make to adapt the android software to tablets and also the Android Market.

I can't see Google coming out on top in the long run unless they simplify their OS and refine it. When the iPhone exclusivity agreement runs out, iPhones will be selling like hot cakes and eating up a huge chunk of market share making it a two man race between Blackberrys and iPhones. Android Phones will be left in the dust with a 3rd place consolation prize, maybe even fourth with Windows 7 Phones coming out.

24. ARSC macrumors 6502

get the phone man.

have week 28 and week 30 no problem with any of them.

25. XLR8 macrumors regular

First smartphone for me. I have no issues. I started shopping in March. I really wanted an Incredible but I am very glad I waited. IMO this iPhone 4 is a much more solid product in every way.

I'm not sure why the UI needs to be redesigned? I want to use my phone not dick around with it because I'm bored.