Should I buy the IPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EGamComp, Sep 7, 2013.

1. EGamComp macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not sure wether or not I should purchase the IPhone 5S when it comes out later this month. I currently own the IPhone 3GS. When it came out I bought it on contract (by now I have switched to T-Mobile's $30-a-month unlimited plan).

However, by now the phone is quite old. The processor is still fine in terms of speed but I am embarrassed to openly use my phone when I am at my office or on the subway.

I thought I would use this opportunity to buy the IPhone 5S (OFF CONTRACT). However, then I realized that I may as well buy an IPhone 5 as they look almost the exact same. After all, it would be cheaper and I am on a tight budget.

Then I heard of a possible IPhone 6 coming out in 2014 with a larger screen. At that point, iPhone 4 owners (which I believe are a majority when compared to IPhone 5 owners) will all purchase the IPhone 6 and IPhone 5 owners will all have outdated phones that have an obvious differene.

Should I wait for 2014 while keeping my 3GS? Should I buy a used IPhone 4, then buy the IPhone 6? An IPhone 5? 5s? I am on a tight budget as you an see with my 3GS that I still own, but I don't want a new phone to turn old quickly since I won't be able to buy a new one for three years or so (again, I'm buying off contract).

Thanks for reading.
    Warm regards,
    EGamComp

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Stop right there. If that's what it boils down to it's not a new phone that you need, but to get past the adolescent mindset of being embarrassed by your perfectly functional possessions.

Incidentally, I also have a 3GS and I'm thinking of upgrading too, but for practical reasons, not because I don't think my phone is cool enough anymore.

3. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

IOS 7 and future updates will no longer be supported by the 3GS. That's a reason, too. I remember when my Second Gen. iPhone couldn't download apps anymore...quite annoying.

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

If you aren't worried over having the latest device I'd recommend buying a used iPhone 4S or 5 off of eBay. Once the iPhone 5S comes out the value of the 4S and 5 will drop significantly.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Now that's one of the practical reasons I was talking about.

6. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

I may end up doing this...as long as there is a significant price difference between the used 5 and the new 5S. And, of course, it'd only be until the IPhone 6 would come out in 2014.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Buy the 5S if you can afford it as it will serve you well for the next 3 years (based on your current cycle).

If you can't afford it get the 5.

If you can't afford that get a 4 or 4S

If you find you still don't have enough cash stick with what you have.

Also who cares about what phone you have. If your too embarrassed to use your 3GS in public, I suggest use your money for some counselling sessions instead. It's just a phone.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Don't be embarrassed to use your 3GS. Personally, I think it's cool. I have friends that still use theirs. I'd wait for the iP6 if your 3GS is still working fine. Who cares what others think of your phone. Save your $ for the iP6.

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

If you own a 3GS, it's a no-brainer to get the 5S!

10. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Get the 4S, its still best iPhone out there. If you wanna have tv remote as phone, buy the 5 or 5s. :D

11. user-name-here macrumors 65816

If you have an upgrade then use it (on the 5S), otherwise you are simply throwing money away.

Seriously? Talk about 1st world problems :p

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You're embarrassed to use your phone because it's old? And you don't want the 5S because the 5 looks exactly the same? :facepalm:

13. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

Please name one valuable feature in the 5S that would be worth the price difference. Better processor? A6 is fast. Better flash? Not neccisary. Champagne color? Please.

14. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Better battery life is worth the price of admission for me.

Fingerprint sensor to never have to remember passwords is just gravy :cool:

That's not even counting the improved camera, processor, flash, or the fact that the 5S will get OS updates for longer than the 5 does.

Of course if you've already made up your mind not to get the 5S then why are you asking us to convince you?

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lol nah just wait for 2016 when the iPhone 7 comes out then....:rolleyes:

16. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't mean to want you guys to convince me. I would get the 5s, it's just that there are already rumors about the 6 so I wanted to know if I should do anything between staying with the 3GS or getting the 5S. That included 5, 4S, even 4. It's not so much the 5 vs. 5s I'm worried about, but mainly the fact that I'd want to get the 6 but don't know what to do in between, considering my phone is outdated.

17. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

If you're worried about price, why not the 5C instead of the 5S? It will most likely have the same internals as the iPhone 5 for at least $100 cheaper.

18. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

I can afford purchasing an unlocked 5S, and I'd rather do that than walk around with a blue plastic phone intended for consumers in China. What worries me is simply the fact that I don't buy phones that often and am not sure if buying the 5S would be the best option considering that the 6 may come out and I would have an outdated phone yet again.

Also, I'd much rather have an I5 than an I5C.

19. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I see what you're saying. My plan of action is to buy the 5S and then get the 6S two years from now. I've always had much better experience with the "S" iPhones.

20. g35 macrumors 6502a

If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do. If you buy the iPhone 4 now, and sell your 3GS now and iPhone 4 in a year, I estimate your net cost will be about $0 for the year of iPhone 4 use. You can decide if the hassle + essentially giving away your 3GS is worth it to you for the year of iPhone 4 use. The numbers I used were buying $120 iPhone 4 now, selling 3GS for $40 now, and selling iPhone 4 for $80 in a year. The iPhone 4 is still an excellent phone, I think you'll like it a lot over your 3GS.

I know the differences add up and everyone has their own opinion, but the 4S is a marginal upgrade over the 4 to me. The 5 is a marginal upgrade over the 4S, and from the looks of it the 5S will be a marginal upgrade over the 5. But I found the experience of using the 4 to be a huge step from using the 3GS. It'd be worth it to me if my numbers are accurate.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You missed the point :rolleyes:

22. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm 80% sure that's what I'll end up doing. The rumors about a larger screen made it seem as if the IP6 would come out tomorrow, even though it'll probably just be a year from now of it'll follow the usual release pattern.

However, if I could choose a "pattern" it would not be an "S" pattern since the major differences occur between 4s-5,5s-6, etc.

----------

Thanks! Best reply so far.
    But do you really think that I could buy an unlocked IPhone 4 for $120 and sell it for $80 in 2014 (5 years old)?

23. BookerDW macrumors member

First off, nobody knows the full specs of the 5S yet so why don't you wait until it's actually announced before making any decisions.

Secondly? Grow up. If you have image issues, there are people who can help you with that, like therapists. You're embarrassed to use your cell phone in public? I'm embarrassed that I actually read your post.

24. EGamComp thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just generally don't use my iPhone much, even at home. Only for web browsing, YouTube, and texting. I know for a fact that if I upgraded my phone I'd be more interested in downloading utility apps and being more reliant on the phone. I also currently don't have a data plan, which I won't even think about getting before I upgrade.

25. Ann P macrumors 68020

Why would you be embarrassed about your phone? First world problems, seriously. Majority of people won't be able to tell the difference between the 5 and 5S anyway.