Should I buy the Mac 27'' i7-3,5GHz | 16GB | 1TB | GTX 780M ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BennyDanny, May 20, 2015.

1. BennyDanny, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

BennyDanny macrumors newbie

Hi! Today there is a store in my country that dropped the price for the Apple iMac 27'' i7-3,5GHz | 16GB | 1TB | GTX 780M a lot. It went from 2649€ (~2944$) to 1999€ (~2222$) with tax included.

I don't need/want the 5k version. Should I buy this one right now, or wait for some update for the non retina iMac 27" next month at WWDC?

My only problem is that I wanted the fusion drive, and this one don't have one... What do you guys think about this price? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's a good price but I wouldn't buy any computer without some sort of SSD in it fusion or not.

Take a look at teh refurbished store if your country has one fusion drive versions come up fairly frequently in the UK with quite good prices on the refurbished store.

3. BennyDanny thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I add one SSD later? It's possible, right?
    I've been reading about an external SSD (from lacie) booting using thundurbolt...

4. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I personally use a ssd in a LaCie and have switched from thunderbolt to use 3.0. Thunderbolt transfers faster than sata so it was over kill and usb 3.0 is almost 1-1 so hardly feel the difference. I did that route and kept the 1tb interval for storage and what not. Not the cleanest setup but definitely save a lot of money

5. BennyDanny thread starter macrumors newbie

That what I was thinking... this iMac with this setup at this price, I think is great...

But, can you still use bootcamp, if you have and external SSD?

6. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Yes I use boot camp off the hdd since I don't care for speed and it's easier and OS X off ssd LaCie

7. BennyDanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear, your setup is: 1TB HDD internal, LaCie SSD plugged with USB 3.0, booting from it, and bootcamp from a partition in the internal 1TB HDD, right?

Is there any advantage using the lacie with thunderbolt vs USB 3.0? What about internal SSD vs external SSD?

Thanks in advance!

8. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Correct. Transfer speed but sata can't read as fast as thunderbolt can transfer. I do it with usb so I can triple monitor and use the thunderbolt ports.

I mean internally it's cleaner of a setup and a little easier for time machine but also more expensive. I'm still able to backup my setup so I'm content same setup as yours but with 775m and 32gn ram

9. BennyDanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I've decided and ordered this right now! After I finished the order, the iMac became unavailable! They only had that one! Lucky me!

Also, 5% of the price of the mac will enter a discount card I have to buy other itens (in this case, 100€ (~110$)).

Also, I will get the tax money back, since I've put the invoice in my brothers company.. So, actually, I've paid 1539€ (~1707$) for this setup, with 100€ (~110$) in credit at the store... Probably will buy an Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 enclosure and a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive

What do you guys think about this?

Also, this is my first mac.. I've never user OSx before, so, looking forward and I hope I don't regret this decision!

10. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Congrats! You'll enjoy it. I'm jealous of your 780m

11. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Did the Apple store not have Refurbished units in your country? Pardon me for my ignorance but the 5k 27" iMac with the 1tb FUSION drive is $1,949.00 here in USA. I would assume it would be somewhat near that price in your country? You could have 5K (which is absolutely incredible), the fusion drive (which is a great compromise)...

12. BennyDanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi! Unfortunately we don't have refurbished units in apple store here and the low specs (with Intel Core i5 quad-core a 3,3 GHz / 8 GB RAM / 1TB HHD 7200rpm and AMD Radeon R9 M290 2GB) costs around 2586 US $... and this one I've bought beats this 5K in RAM / CPU (i7) and Graphic card (4GB). Of course it's sad it doesn't have a fusion drive, but later I'll buy a thunderbolt lacie 500gb SSD (pure sdd it's better than fusion drive, I think).