Should I buy the Macbook Pro with Retina Display or Macbook 15in (Mid- 2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Jun 15, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I think it's time to upgrade from my 2009 13" macbook pro, and based-off gaming, it is really hard to get a modern game playing smoothly on it.
    THe decision is the 15" Macbook Upgraded (8gb, i7), or the cheapest Macbook with Retina Display (2200$).
    I am worried that having the sexy resolution will slow down my games and it's performance. The 15" Macbook Pro Regular however has a lower resolution, therefore better graphics. I think both have a GT 650m Nvidia, and that is a pretty good graphics card.
    I do use Final Cut and Logic, but will the Retina really make a difference?
    Kind of a similar question, but how will bootcamp be installed on the New Macbook Pro if it doesn't have an optical drive?
    By games(I will run bootcamp), I am talking about Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3, Arma 3, etc. So some games that require power.

2. Vmartines macrumors newbie

As a current Macbook Pro with Retina user I would say go with the with the MBP with Retina. It is extremely fast and I love the screen and everything about it so far. With Windows the Bootcamp Utility allows for you to install via an external hdd or USB and that's how I managed to install Windows 8 on it. As far as playing games I scaled it down by half in order to get the maximum performance on it. I hope this helps and let me know what you decide on getting!