Should I buy the MBP retina now or wait for the new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Isa Al, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Isa Al macrumors member

Hey

I wanna buy a new MBP retina 15" before my uni starts in fall so after like a month. I already have a 2011 MBP but wanna get a new and better one so I am just wondering what is the latest 15" retina by Apple? and when is the approximate date for the release of new retinas? like I mean if Apple has a date for new releases like it has for iPhone and iPad usually like to know if it worth waiting to get the new one or not

Thanks

2. L T macrumors 6502

L T

They have just brought out a new one! Like 2 weeks ago!

The ones on the apple store are the latest ones

3. 960design macrumors 68030

I got mine about a month ago from Apple. Late 2013 awesome as can be.

4. gbkrip macrumors member

There was a refresh last week (July 29).

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'd either buy the new refreshes now or shop the refurb store which is just as good as new at a big discount.

6. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

Oh that's great!!!

I found this article about the update https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/07/29Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display.html

but is there any name for the updated 15" MBP retina? like late 2014 or early 2015 or any serial number? because there is no official apple store here and I have to buy from any store so I need the name to get ripped off :p

7. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

You can look at the specs. The new base 15" rMBP comes standard with the 16GB of RAM. IF you want to get the 15" rMBP with the dedicated GPU just make sure the clock speed of the processor matches up with the new 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7.

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

They call it mid 2014. The model A1398 is the same as the late 2013, so not enough has changed apparently (like new graphics).

The CPU choices for the late 2013 are: 2.0, 2.3, 2.6 and the mid 2014 are: 2.2, 2.5, 2.8. I would use the CPU as the way to check. The 16GB ram is not reliable in my opinion as that could have been upgraded.

9. educastro macrumors newbie

I have EXACTLY the same doubt right now. I live in Brazil but next month I'm moving to USA to study for a whole year, maybe you have already seen something that Apple stuff in Brazil are really, really expensive. A 15" Retina MacBook Pro here costs about 6000 dollars. Exactly same that in US costs about 2500 dollars. So I really need to buy a new one while studying at USA.

Nowadays I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, SSD, etc. Pretty great computer but as I said, fills all my expectations(but man... I really want a Retina Display lol). I will get a new one while in US because in Brazil the prices are definitely not cool. I was planning to get the "Late 2014" version expecting new Broadwell processors and a new GPU but Apple just launched this Mid 2014 that basically is the same computer as the Early 2014. I don't know if I get the Mid 2014 with GT750M and 512GB of SSD next week(when I will arrive at US) or if I travel with my old MacBook Pro and wait to get the Early 2015 15" MacBook Pro with Broadwell, 32GB of RAM(<3) and new GPU as soon as it launches.

What do you think?