Should I buy the non-retina Macbook Pro or the Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreyMatter22, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GreyMatter22 macrumors newbie

I am planning to buy the MBA, and plan on being with this laptop way into the future. I say this as I'll be coming from a $250 basic Acer Desktop which lasted 6 years.

Knowing this and by taking everyone's advice, I'll get the 8 GB RAM on it, however the laptop offers only 128 SSD.

My use is to surf the web on multiple tabs, YouTube, run Civilization 5, or similar games, student work, downloading and streaming all sorts of movies and TV shows.

Also as I am a Financial Economics student, there might come a time (and it is close) that some financial software might not be compatible with Mac, so I would run windows along with Mac's OSX on the MBA.

My question is that is 128 Gig memory sufficient to handle two different operating systems? I will buy an external hard drive, but is MBA with only such limited memory and a lower processing speed capable of handling both side by side?

This scenario is purely speculation, but I should know my options knowing that I am investing a little north of a grand.

The dude at the Apple store told me to just to go with the non-retina Macbook Pro, and I could run Windows anytime I want smoothly due to higher speed and memory.

I believe non-retina MBP does not run the civilization 5 I believe, is this true?

All in all, should I stick with the MBA's 128 SSD or is the older MBP a safer option?

And rMBP or the upgraded MBA with more memory isn't an option for me due to monetary reasons.

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

No. MacBook Air can go up to 512GB of SSD. 128GB is not enough for two operating systems and software and files.

You reference to the "non-retina Macbook Pro" is that the current 13" model? Don't do it. That machine has a terrible screen. It has always been overpriced compared to it's stablemates.

If it's about the money, go with a refurb.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13
    wait for the one you want. It'll show up eventually. Check often, buy quickly.

If you want the real non-retina MacBook Pro, they don't make it anymore. But you can still get a 2012 off the refurb store. Look for this in thedescription "Hi-Res antiglare widescreen display, 1680-by-1050 ". That is the last real MacBook Pro.

More than possibly at any time previously, the options offered buy Apple are quite limited and the real ideal minimum buy in point is quite high. They have no reasonable low cost machine. At least not one that you can upgrade later, thereby stretching out the time you have to pay for the machine you want.