Should I buy the standard iphone headphones (again X2) or the in head head phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 23, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I love Apple's headphones but they always break in like 2 months. The speakers always get blown out. I'm about to buy I believe my third pair. Is the in-ear headphones a better buy? and will it work for my iphone 3G? (The website says only 3GS) Will they last a lot longer then 2 months?

Thanks a lot

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Neither. Save yourself money in the long run by buying yourself a real set of quality headphones.

3. jseyf5 macrumors member

jseyf5

4. Konz macrumors regular

I prefer in-ear buds because 1.) They always fit better and 2.) They always do a better job of isolating the sound. I've never gotten a bad pair of sony MDR-EX## type buds and I've had a few pairs over the years (only replaced because of normal wear and tear).

Yeah those are real portable :rolleyes:

5. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason I want Apple's headphones is because of the mic and controls.

Anyone else?

6. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I have the in ears which I got for my Touch before i got the iPhone, I do like them but it feels odd, maybe just the sound isolation but it makes feel like my ears are clogged. Can't really describe it better, I have some old Sony in ear earphones and dont get the same sensation.

7. lollicup macrumors regular

you should modify your used apple headphones with better earbuds

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Quality headphones != huge :rolleyes:

Do these look big to you?

[​IMG]

@OP Take a look at the Shure SE115+. They cost a bit more than the Apple in-ears and comparable Sony earphones ($119 at the Apple Online Store) although they have a mic, clicker and volume controls (not going to work w/ a 3G though) unlike the Sony buds.

9. TapHappy macrumors regular

I tried those expensive Shure's and Klipsch in the airport a few weeks back. Then I tried some Ultimate Ear Metro 100v. For only $45 bucks it sounded as good at the $400 ear buds. I say get pair of these babies and a budcase (see link below) to put them in! BTW been through 3 for the factory ear buds. Didn't know what I was missing until I got the UE's.

10. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

If im not mistaken, Apple replaces iPhone headphones for free. Give this number a call 1-800-275-2273 AppleCare(U.S).

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Don't get those, under any circumstance.

Shure SE530 & Shure MPA

Not a bad suggestion, but I'd go with the MPA only because it allows you to upgrade. The Shure 115+ will be available exclusive at the Apple Store until the end of the year, so good luck trying to find a lower price.

12. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I also recommend the Klipsch Image S4's. They have tight bass, great mids and clear highs. Ive had them for a few days and I think they are worth even more than I paid for them...

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256363972&sr=8-1

Also the oval eargels are the most comfortable I've ever worn. Go figure that they are the only ones who thought to make an ear gel that's shaped like your ear.

13. rtc872 macrumors member

Another vote for the Klipsch S4's. I have the S4i but I am not sure about the compatibility with the 3G.

14. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

only within warranty correct?

15. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

i love the apple in ear headphones. had them since they were released and had absolutely no problems with them.
    The controls work on both my iphones but to use the volume on my 2G i needed to load up 3.0

16. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If the speaker blows, or even falls off, its usually covered under your iPhone's warranty. I know mine were

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

the new apple in ears (the ones with the dual drivers) are actually pretty good; there's a pretty favorable view of them over at head-fi. If you look around on ebay, you might be able to get a pretty good deal on them too. I have them and I personally think they're great.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

SE530s are very expensive and the music phone adapter seems overpriced compared to some other brands- Audio-Technica has an adapter for $40 ($20 on Amazon). I'm pretty sure some no-name brands have them for $10 too. It's a good idea though- you can pick up a cheap pair of Sonys and still have the mic/clicker.

Really? Are you sure the volume controls work? They've never worked on my 2G/3G on 3.0.1 FW...

19. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

i managed to get a discount on the apple in ear and i've found them to be working brilliantly with the 3gs.

20. lollicup macrumors regular

this really should be moved into the accessories subforum, there is a very similar thread already there