Should I buy the WesternDigital MyBook Studio edition(500gb)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsander, Jun 1, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Hi,

I want to buy an external firwire 800 hard drive. The specsof the WD Mybook studio edition look good but there are some negative reviews, I am wondering if they are all from before the firmware update.

so..
    I would be very happy if you guys could post your personal experiences with the WD MyBook Studio edition. Also please mention if you installed the firmware(especially if you say it crashed).

Thanks a lot!

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

mine works fine, the firmware update worked fine!.

the only trouble I've been having is with the PSU unit making squeely noises and.. basically not turning the HDD on sometimes :(

3. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

What is the PSU unit?

4. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Well, I don't own a WD MyBook Studio. But when I was in the market for a hard drive, I was torn between it and the LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB. Both have the same interfaces: USB, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, and e-SATA. But I went for the LaCie simply because I already had a LaCie hard drive, and I was happy with it.

I've been using this hard drive for a few months, the only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's quite noisy.

I hope this helps :)

5. jonnos macrumors regular

ive owned the 500gb mybook studio for a few months now and i havent had any problems with it. gets pretty worked out too, i back up and save downloads on it all the time and use it as a scratch disk for photoshop and also for final cut. hasnt missed a beat. only thing i dont like that much about it is the paint job fades if u slide it around too much and also gets easily scratched. ive used my friends lacie and it is very heavy compared to the my book studio. nice and sturdy but i lug mine around once n a while. i dont think the lacie has the paint job and scratch prob coz its metal or steel i dno.

6. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

7. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

PSU = power supply unit. Mines a UK version

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

works ok. little slow with time machine sometimes. sounds kind of like a dishwasher. overall I'd give it a B, but I've never tried a better external HD anyways...

9. lezzafeatures macrumors newbie

I own 2 Lacies (120GB & 250GB), a maxtor (500GB now seagate), 2 Mybook studios (500GB & 1TB) and recently a Western Digital Passport (320GB).
    The Lacies are rugged but sound like concord taking off (incidentally they have old WD drives inside anyway) and the 250GB is knackered because it switches itself off and on occasionally causing finder to crash.
    The Maxtor died on me a few years ago and I got a warranty replacement, but it's really slow (especially write speed) and is quite bulky.
    The Western Digital drives had been working fine up until a few months but suddenly the 500GB died and had to send for warranty replacement.
    So I think all in all, hard drives fail no matter which brand you go for, that is why you mainly only ever see bad hard drive reviews.
    But for me the WDs offer the best price, speed, none existent noise & weight but especially their length of warranty.

10. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

But if it dies... is there no way to get your files back since it would be terrible to just loose your files??
    It's nice to get a replacement but I would also want my important files back.

11. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I've had a 500gig MyBook for about 6months now. I love it. Works great for storing all my iTunes media. No problems so far.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

for sure, so that's why you want to make back up copies of all of your files....with ANY drive you run the risk of it failing on you.