Should I buy this 8Gb of Crucial RAM for my iMac 2010?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alexjholland, Aug 26, 2011.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I have the 2010 (version just before the latest firewire model) iMac 27" with the top quad-core processor and the stock 4Gb of RAM.

I can hardly say I'm lagging for RAM, but like to have Ableton Live open constantly, as well as iTunes and various media players - it would be nice to know I've got things covered.

Is the £39.59 (4GB x 2) RAM upgrade kit from Crucial a good choice?

And is it the correct RAM for my model?

I don't mind spending a little more if it's worth it, but would draw the line around £70..

I believe I can stick this in the two spare slots, meaning I have a total of 12Gb of RAM? This sounds like a great value upgrade!

Will order swiftly if I hear good news..

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Hi OP,

I've got the same iMac as you, and did the exact sane RAM upgrade from crucial. My mac's speed has definitely improved, but I haven't gone past using 7-9 GB of RAM (out of my 12), and even then, it's hard to get my RAM that clogged up. Either way, it's a good deal from Crucial, but just keep in mind that they will most probably charge you Handling/taxes upon delivery, as that's what happens whenever Crucial delivers to me (Canada).

(Bought the 8gb last month for $70ish and had to pay $20 upon delivery bringing the total up to $90).

4. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Same RAM in my 2010 i7. Flawless experience. I've used up to 9 GB (out of 12) while encoding a 1080p movie, but usually hover around 3-4 GB used.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Looks like great RAM, kinda wish I would have seen this before I ordered mine. I’m happy with my upgrade to 8GB that I made but could have gotten 8GB for Crucial for the same price (after conversion rate) that I paid for 4GB of OWC RAM. Oh well, I know for next time I guess. Plus OWC didn’t kill on shipping costs as much.

In any case, back to the point, yeah, that RAM looks good and great for the price :)

6. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks guys - just ordered! I am in the UK (I think Crucial are?) so it seems to make sense.

I could have got two packs of that RAM, giving me 16GB, but thought the difference between 12Gb and 16Gb is likely to be small - and something I'd rarely, if ever, encounter.

4Gb definitely seems 'bare minimum' for a screen this size and Lion, particularly with music production! Tripling RAM will be a tasty upgrade..

If I decide to buy another 8Gb further down the line, when programs get more demanding, does it matter if they're different? You only need to match the pair in the two matching slots, right?

7. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

To OP, the link you posted seems to be 2X8GB for £600! Do you have the correct link? I'd like to get a pair of 4GB as well.

Thanks

8. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, when I click that link I get offered the whole range of kits offered for the iMac! Check out their Mac scanner tool though - works a treat!

9. Qwaf macrumors member

Look down. It just links to all the memory available, it shows the modules he is talking about too.

And yeah, 8GB modules are insanely expensive at the moment.

10. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Cheers guys, had NoScript (disabled JavaScript) running so missed that option.