Should I buy this iPhone? (a bricked 3GS)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by withoutshade, Jan 12, 2012.

1. withoutshade macrumors newbie

A guy offers me a bricked iPhone 3GS with baseband 06.15.00 and iOS 5.0.1, jailbroken. The price is really good and I'm temped to buy it but I want to ask you for advice. Do you think I could fix it or it will be necessary to take it to Apple to change the baseband chip or something?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depends on what is bricked about it. It's extremely hard to say. For all you know it could just not be turning on. If it's all software, you can almost always save it. Just curious, how GOOD is good (in terms of price)? The answer to that question would at least let me be able to tell you whether I, personally, would take a gamble. $25? Sure. $100? Maybe not.

3. withoutshade, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

withoutshade thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy said it's all software issue.
    He also said that wifi and bluetooth are unavailable and the phone restarts itself sometimes.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wouldn't want it. Not unless it was dirt cheap.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. withoutshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advices, guys! Haha, the price is around 150$.

And by the way, how does it cost to change a baseband chip (if needed) in Apple service, any ideas? Just informative..

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

$At $150, no way... As far as baseband chip replacement, I am not even sure they do this, specifically. I would think they would have to replace the whole kit and kaboodle as its basically all on one board with only things like the camera and screen actually "plugging in". This basically translates to cost prohibitive, I would think.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Nope, a poor hardware repair can be a parma brick. I'd pass. Although I had a girl friend (friend girl) that sold her "bricked" 3GS for 200 back when then 4's (not 4s) came out and all it needed was a reset. She finalized the sale before I looked at it. So there are deals.

I had another friend sell his 4 advertising it was unlocked because he didn't know what that meant too. Lol. So watch out.

10. withoutshade thread starter macrumors newbie

It's clear to me now. I'm asking because the seller had taken the phone to some service and they told him it's bricked and it must be taken to Apple to be fixed. I read somewhere that the baseband chip/processor have to be changed. Otherwise I watched a few videos on youtube how people easily fix bricked iPhones but apparently it depends on what exactly is bricked, as you said.

11. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

yeah stay away from that esp. at that price. That is crazy.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

How much is it? If it was under $50 then it might be worth a try...

13. svenn macrumors 6502

You can buy fully functioning phones for less than that. I'd hardly call that price good.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it's all software, it shouldn't really need Apple's help. Thing is, if it was as easy as that, the guy would just do it and sell it. At $150, that's not much cheaper than it would be if it were working with no issues.

15. withoutshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you're right. I almost got tricked, you saved me! :D

By the way, I don't know how's it in your countries but here it's very rarely to see 3GS below 200$. That's why I said "good price".

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That's probably about right. But $200 for a working phone versus $150 for a potentially broken phone. In my eyes that isn't nearly enough savings to make it worth taking the risk. JMO ;)