should i buy this macbook pro? is it a good deal 1000$

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Khicks778, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Khicks778 macrumors newbie

Its a 2009 or a 2010 MacBook pro that still has applecare until April 2012 they look and feel new and well cared for. I'm going to buy it around 5 today so fast responses needed. Is this deal worth it. How much life do I have left If I do buy?
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL THAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS SALE • (This is an awesome package) • Up for sale is one great Macbook Pro laptop • A 15.4" 2.4GHz 2.4 GHz Apple Macbook Pro Unibody • The Macbook has a fresh install of the Mac OS and is outfitted with::

• A 250GB (7200rpm) hard drive • An iSight Video Camera • 8GB of RAM • The Apple Battery • An Airport Extreme Card • Bluetooth • A Dual Layer CD/DVD Superdrive (burns both regular and dual layer DVD's) • A Hi Res LED display (free of any dead or stuck pixels) • The Apple AC Charger • The Apple Battery

• The hard drive has been formatted and has over $5,000 of software installed including: • Final Cut 3 (Motion -- Final Cut -- Color -- DVD Studio -- Soundtrack Pro Etc) • Adobe's CS5 Master Collection (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, Illustrator Etc) • Roxio Toast 11 • Apple's iLife '11 (iMovie -- iPhoto --iDVD -- Garageband -- iWeb Etc) • Apple's iWork program (Numbers --Keynote -- Pages) • Microsoft Office 2011 (Excel, Powerpoint, Word Etc) • Apple's FileMaker Pro • Aperture 3

• We are also including:

• A Brand New 250GB Portabe Hard Drive • A Brand New Keyboard Cover • A Brand New Laptop Case • A Brand New Laptop Cooling Pad

• As an added bonus we will also include the following software on DVD disks

• The Microsoft Office Suite • The Adobe CS5 Master Collection • Filemaker Pro

2. simsaladimbamba

For 1000 USD?
    I doubt, the sale includes the actual licenses for the applications listed, and that would mean, you would commit piracy, as you don't hold the licenses. If you want to pirate software (not that I accuse you of wanting to), you can easily do that for free.

And 1000 USD is a bit much for a 2009 MBP, it has "only" a C2D. You might get better deals on 2010 MBPs if you look for them or you can go the refurbished route via the Apple Online Store.

3. Khicks778 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the guy who is selling th has about 10 of them. He owns a wealthy photography studio but he's upgrading to the new 2011 pros so he doesn't have anything else to do with these old ones so is selling them off. He has all the original boxes and CDs with every purchase of a MacBook. You get all CDs, boxes, documentations, etc.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

There is no way you're getting the legitimate licensed software for that price. The software alone is worth more than $1000 if it's being sold with a legitimate license transfer. You may be getting a copy of installer discs but you're not getting the real license.

5. simsaladimbamba

But does that include the boxes and CD/DVDs for the software? FCS comes on more than one DVD, Adobe Master Collection too.
    And 1000 USD for that amount of software is either a very good steal. It is your money, it is "your" software, but if the software you get from that sale is not licensed or transferable, 1000 USD for that MBP is a bit much.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Check the Refurb section, if it can beat that price then go for it. If not, why not, it's a great steal :)

7. brendu macrumors 68020

If you know the seller and you trust that you truly are getting all the software with documentation and cd's fully licensed then it is an amazing deal. I would say go for it. If you do not know for sure that it is 100% legit, then be cautious.

8. Ccrew, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

Doesn't smell right to me. I doubt the software is legit. The cost of a current version of Master Suite alone exceeds the cost of the package.

Doesn't pass the sniff test. At all. I'd argue that the machine isn't worth the asking price so they're throwing a bunch of (possibly pirated) software at it as a smoke screen.

Adobe is easy, if it's installed open the hosts file and see if they redirected the Adobe servers to 127.0.0.1 to bypass it's license checks. FCP 3 I'll bet was upgraded against the version you're getting. Think about it, he's upgrading to 2011 Pro's, why not just deactivate and reactivate the licenses on the new machines?

Think about it really, would you dump a machine and current software for 1/5 of it's value? Not a single program listed isn't easily available on the warez market.

There's someone in the DC market that sells these on Craigslist all the time, and all the software is bootleg.