Should I buy warranty? It's about to expire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onne2slick, May 21, 2011.

1. onne2slick macrumors regular

I have a Mid-2010 maacbook pro 13" and I can't decide if I should get warranty for it. I'm a student, and I don't have a lot of money, but I can probably get my parents to purchase it for me. It expires June 6, so I have a couple of weeks left. Or should I sell it? and go with the Student plan that they have in September with the macbook pro + ipod touch discount?

2. GGJstudios, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

5. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

If I order online, do they ship me the package itself or do they just email me the code? What if it comes late =\

6. EEXOOO macrumors regular

You can still activate it as long as it's purchased before the 1st year warranty ends.

7. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

So what do they ship you then if they just email you the code?

8. erphan macrumors newbie

They don't email you the code. They ship you the box with the code inside of it. As long as you can prove that you bought the AppleCare prior to the end of your warranty Apple can put it on there.

9. erphan macrumors newbie

Also, if you're buying from the Apple Store or Apple Online Store be sure to take advantage of the Student discount on the AppleCare. For my 15" MacBook Pro I got over $100 off from retail for the AppleCare.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

As a student with the discount , yup! Do it. I always buy from eBay etc and never had issues but would not pay full retail

11. nostoppin macrumors newbie

How long do you plan on keeping your mac? the older it is, the greater the chance of something going wrong. also look into a square trade warranty, which will cover things like accidents and spills. One thing to be aware of with Squaretrade is limits - they won't pay out more than the purchase price.

you might also ask your parents to check with their homeowners insurance - I've heard of some that provide a pretty decent coverage for stuff like laptops!

peace,

Tim O

12. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

for a $999 macbook, I'd say no. The laptop is so slow that if it breaks after one year, I'll just go get a new one. For the 17" MBP, it's worth it. The power of the 17" MBP is enough to last several years and still perform really well, and plus the price is pretty steep. The entry level 13" models are just too easy to replace for any warranty to be worthwhile.

but then again, there is something called American Express.