Should I cancel my pre-order and try buying in-store tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nixon08, Oct 13, 2011.

  1. nixon08 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #1
    I could use some help here. Like many others I pre-ordered my 32gb white iphone 4s at 3:26 AM (EST) on Friday the 7th from the Verizon website. Then they f'd up my order and now it's gone.

    I was forced to re-pre-order my phone all over again yesterday, and now am stuck waiting until the 28th, so I have a few options. I can either...

    A) Wait. It's killing me, but at least I know I'll get it.
    B) Cancel my pre-order and head to a Verizon store at 8 AM (or earlier) tomorrow.

    Some details I am looking for...

    1) How many phones (approx) will Verizon stores be getting?
    2) If/when they sell out tomorrow, when will they next be available?
    3) What are the chances my current pre-order ships out earlier than the 28th, like maybe the 21st?

    I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
     
  2. naples09 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #2
    Sorry, not trying to be rude here....but no one has a clue about the details. It would be a guess.

    I hate standing in line so I would wait for the phone to ship.

    Good luck!
     
  3. nixon08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #3
    Guesses are fine. I know that those details aren't available. Just wondering if anyone has the ability to predict the future. Isn't there like, an app for that?
     
  4. mwhities macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    Mississippi
    #4
    I didn't pre-order. I'm going to either go to the Apple Store or go to AT&T. If they are busy, I'll go the next day. If I miss out on the first shipments, oh'well.. :)

    I don't think it's going to be as bad as everyone is making it out to be; just don't hold it against me if I'm wrong. :)

    Good luck.
     
  5. bfired macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    #5
    Did you use an upgrade to order? I read on another thread that if you used an upgrade and cancel, you'll have to wait 3-7 days for your "upgrade eligibility" to be reinstated.

    Hoping it's not true, as I'm in a similar boat, but pre-ordered with Apple and am considering dropping by the store tomorrow...I'd suggest going to a less popular store, maybe in a not-so-nice part of town for your best chance.
     
  6. nixon08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #6
    I heard the same thing over on the verizon wireless boards - that it may take a few days for your upgrade status to be reinstated.

    That would suck big time if I canceled my pre order, waited in line and then found out my upgrade status wasn't updated.

    What I'd really like to know is, from past experience, if the 2 week wait (28th) is merely a worst case scenario.
     
  7. Robby S macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    #7
    If you are stuck waiting until the 28th anyway, why don't you just go to a store and see if you can pick one up on person. If not, make a decision then - either keep trying in person or just sit back and wait. After all, the fact remains, this is just a phone.
     
  8. lionqueen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2009
    #8
    Thinking of doing the same, but i dont know how long it'll take to get my upgrade back once i cancel...
     
  9. joshuarobi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    Location:
    Arcata, CA
    #9
    I cancelled my pre order and my upgrade showed up immediately with VZW.
     
  10. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    #10
    Not sure about Verizon, but i returned at Galaxy S II to ATT yesterday within the 30 days and my upgrade was immediately reinstated. If you're worried about it, go into a verizon store and cancel the order, they should be able to make it immediate there.
     
  11. 100Teraflops, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

    100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

    100Teraflops

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2011
    Location:
    Elyria, Ohio
    #11
    I think so. What if the phone arrives a week early? I do not have a dog in this race, but if you must have the phone now, then try to get one tomorrow. Although, you might be S.O.L. if you cancel your pre-order only to wait until November to receive a phone you could have had by the end of October.

    With that being said, nobody knows how well the new iPhone will sell, but considering 1 million iPhones sold within a 24 hour period, this puppy will sell like hotcakes or the market dictates they will sell. I say stick it out and wait. At least you know you have a phone, just not tomorrow. :D IMHO
     
  12. amann76 macrumors 6502

    amann76

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Location:
    MacWorld USA
    #12
    it is funny how all you people are complaining about verizon messing up orders i wonder how many of you were the same ones dancing about how smooth the process went while others were struggling with ordering from apple
     
  13. nixon08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #13
    If the upgrade status changes back immediately, or doesn't change at all in the first place (after all, your upgrade isn't even completed until you "purchase" the phone), why not simply show up at the store and if they have the phones, call up and cancel the preorder right there? Why risk missing out by cancelling it the night before?

    I'm not sure the VZW stores are able to cancel the pre order though. You would think that they'd be able to, but when I stopped in last week they told me it couldn't be cancelled...though I don't think they really knew what they were talking about.
     
  14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Location:
    FL
    #14
    There are so many more things in this world to worry about then how to juggle canceling you preorder, standing in line in hopes to get a phone tomorrow and if or when your upgrade status will change in time. Your preorder is coming in 2 weeks go worry about something else. It's a PHONE. :confused:
     
  15. nixon08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #15
    Ok, great, so don't worry about it. It's my first one. I'm excited, so what?
     
  16. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

    bjb.butler

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #16
    I highly doubt you will have a hard time finding a phone. Go to apple > Verizon > best buy > Walmart > radio shack > Sam's club.

    You WILL get a phone tomorrow. Once you find a store with some in stock, call up and cancel the preorder
     
  17. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #17
    It's awesome you are excited.

    Why not keep the pre-order, go wait in line and if you get it call in and cancel your pre-order from the line?

    Sorry nobody knows stock levels but traditionally Apple stores have gotten the highest levels of stock but also have the biggest lines. Good luck tomorrow! wait in line; it'll be worth it.
     
  18. nixon08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #18
    Thanks, I think I'm going to do that. Plus I'm hoping the lines are shorter at Verizon stores...there is some logic behind that hope, though I am not certain it is accurate.
     

Share This Page