Should I change the location of my itunes music files to external HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by poblack, Mar 15, 2009.

1. poblack macrumors regular

Hello,

i recently bought a 320GB WD passport HD so I could take advantage of time capsule. Should I also add my itunes music library so I can free up space on my aluminum macbook?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

You'll have to partition the external drive first. And yes, I think it's a good idea to separate your data from your OS drive. It simplifies matters if you have to restore the drive.

3. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

do you want a backup of your music? consider keeping your itunes folder on your internal drive and using time machine to back it up along with everything else

4. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

No, I wan't to store ALL of my music and videos on the external HD so I won't be using any of the internal HD space. So if I buy a song or album on itunes, it would be stored on the external rather than the internal HD. Does that make since?

And what do you mean that i have to partition the external HD?

5. epyfa macrumors regular

You can do that very easily, but remember that ,if you do so, you'll always need to plug in your external hard drive for music.

6. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

sure that makes sense. :D

to partition your drive use drive utility located in applications/utilities. It will make seperate drive icons appear on your desktop when you partition one physical drive

7. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If a drive is used for time machine, that is the only thing it can be used for. Use Disk Utility to create a partition on the drive and essentially make it look like two drives to your system. Use one for time machine and one for data like your iTunes.

8. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

Earlier I went into the external HD and I physically added new folders for my pictures and videos. Is this the same thing as "partitioning" the HD or do I have to do it through disk utility?

9. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Has to be done through disk utility. If you try to use the drive as a time machine drive, it will erase the contents.