Should I demand Apple to replace my iPhone 5 immediately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan914, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ryan914, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Ryan914 macrumors newbie

If you've seen my other thread you'd know that my iPhone 5 has a minor fault, significant static sounds when using the headphones, the phone is completely usable, the issue is definitely very annoying though. I spoke to Apple over the phone as the nearest Apple Stores are 400km north and south of me, the technician assured me the phone has a hardware fault but told me that they won't be able to replace my phone for 4-5 weeks due to demand and told me to call back then and quote my case number and they'd issue a replacement. However when I got off the phone I saw on my Apple support page that my case had been closed (which in my opinion it should not have been, because its ongoing) and it made me think that I should not have settled for waiting, I tend to be a little too accepting of compromises at moments. Do you guys think I should call back up ASAP and demand they replace my clearly faulty device? Or is it fair (or even the truth) that I need to wait for the demand to slow down?

EDIT: Some people are taking this the wrong way, I should have used the word 'insist' rather than 'demand'. I'm not fuming over this and I won't be angry over the phone because of it. I'm just a bit annoyed that people close to a store can walk in and get a replacement but I've been told to wait almost 2 months.

SOLVED!: Finally got around to calling Apple again, quoted my case number, the advisor checked the case details, reconfirmed them all with me, and I didn't even get around to asking for a replacement because the new advisor almost immediately told me they would send me a replacement as soon as they receive my faulty one using a mail slip they just gave me a link to. :D Kinda strange how the first guy told me they had no replacements... Anyway, happy ending ;) Moral of the story, always call Apple again if you're dissatisfied with the first call.

2. LiarInGlass macrumors member

Demanding to get one immediately when there is not enough stock to meet that demand is completely pointless. He straight up told you to wait because there is a delay.

3. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Does the phone function properly? Is it only when the headphones are used? Since the phone has been out for less then a week that means refurb units are not available yet so replacements are currently new ones. I don't think its unreasonable to have to wait while demand catches up for a phone that has a, as you put it, minor fault. If they said they would replace it in a few weeks once they catch up its pretty fair.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Call 408 996 1010 and ask for customer relations. You might get there eventually by calling AppleCare back, but this will get you there faster.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

Go ahead a demand whatever you want, I'm sure you are the only one who has called Apple Support and wanted a replacement unit, I'm sure that raising your voice and demanding something that isn't available will speed up the process.

Please report back with an update.

6. Ryan914, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

And I was told by people online who work at Apple Stores that they all have plentiful replacement stock. I'm sure you'd be unhappy kf you paid $899 for a faulty phone then to be told they cant replace it for weeks when clearly other people are able to walk into a store and get numerous replacements. I'm tossing it all up, I find it unacceptable that because I live a distance from a capital city that I have to wait at the back of the queue for a replacement. Also, how likely is it that I will be issued a refurbished model if I wait the 4/5 weeks?

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

You are the only person I have heard of that is unable to get a replacement. Apple keep spare stock for exchanges.

I have a brand new boxed one on its way, and I didnt have to shout or demand anything.

Trust me you will get a lot further by being nice, the second you demand something of a person is the second they will probably decide to help you less than if you were being nice.

Its just a phone dont stress lol

8. kannesss macrumors 6502a

You'll have to wait if they don't have any where you go.
    Nothing they can do about that really. :(

9. Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should have used the word 'insist' instead of 'demand' haha my intention is NOT to blast someone at the end of the phone, but really really insist politely that I should get a replacement sooner rather than later. I'll give them a call and follow it up later today, I'll also talk to them about whether refurbs will be used to replace it, I'll keep you all updated.

10. ralturki macrumors newbie

I believe you have the right to insist, you have paid for the phone, others didn't yet! If you don't use the headphones frequently (like me), I think it would be a good idea to wait and ask for a compensation for your wait (an adapter? or extra cable?)

I have a similar issue in my iPhone (since 21st), and I'm still waiting for the replacement!

11. zhandri, Sep 27, 2012

zhandri macrumors 6502

i'd wait... maybe they'll get the scuff-out-of-the-box problem solved. right now chances are just too high you will get a damaged phone. wait 4 weeks and enjoy your iphone 5 until then

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You don need to insist or demand. Go back to the store. Let them hear the problem. Tell them you would like a replacement and you will wait at the counter while they get you one...

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Being a 601, you should know better. B/c of this, primarily...

You won't be given a refurb. Just call one of the Apple stores you alluded to & explain the situation; they'll tell you to make a Genius Bar appointment, and you'll get a new phone.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Demand? Your other thread? Hmmm

You weren't outright denied a new phone there just isn't any stock. You'll have to deal with it. Go ahead and demand all you want but whether you believe you're entitled to one today will not somehow magically make one appear off the line. You were told by people online that there is stock? Do you really think Apple is somehow withholding a phone from you when you have a seemingly legitimate problem. if you want to be pissed then be pissed at the people on this forum returning multiple phones for the most minor of all marks that they only saw under ideal lighting with a 10x loupe.

"Your other thread?" Just use that one to ask this utterly nutty question.

15. zerind macrumors member

LOL @ the sense of entitlement on this forum as a whole. Just LOL.

16. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Your not in the U.S., you can't demand anything.

17. Ryan914, Sep 27, 2012

Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't live anywhere near an Apple Store unfortunately. The closest is a 6 hour drive away. This is part of my issue. I am forced to use Apple's phone support. And Apple's phone support tells me I have to wait 4/5 weeks, while everyone in the city can get as many replacements as they need from a Genius Bar. Hardly fair.

Under Australian consumer law, yes I am entitled to a full repair, refund or replacement. And while I don't think Apple is withholding a replacement from me, I do believe that it is laziness on their part for not simply sourcing a phone from one of their stores. I hate the way people on here seem to think I'm not entitled to something I paid $899 for.

18. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I was at the Apple store couple days ago playing with the 5. Casually asked the rep hey got any AT&T models available? He was very quick to point out nothing is available for any carriers. Then a lady walked in to complain about cosmetic defect, the genius replaced it for her right on the spot. It was in a sealed retail box.

So they do have phones, but seems to be reserved for customer exchanges.

19. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

If for some reason they closed your case, and the 30 day return period is ticking by, I would call again, ask that a replacement be sent or you will return the phone for a complete refund. Don't want the 30 days to pass, and for some glitch at their end, saying to you they have no record of the issue and you passed the time for any returns.

----------

"nearest Apple Stores are 400km north and south of me"​

Unfortunately he lives too far away

20. Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point.

Exactly! They do have the stock, they're just too lazy to source it from one of their stores.

Even after the 30 day period, they still have an obligation to replace it under warranty, but you make a good point. I do intend to call them back tomorrow.

21. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I suspect your "attitude" could get in the way on getting this resolved. Just return the phone for a refund and go out and buy another.

I know there is a shortage in some places but our local Apple store fixed my buddy up with a 64gb black unit by just walking in the door on Tuesday.

22. Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

What "attitude"? I'm just a little annoyed that I can't get my faulty phone replaced.

23. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Refurbs are available. Depends where you go.

I had a phone replaced on launch day in Florida for LTE issues.

24. RocketMan76 macrumors member

Ha ha ha ha, you paid $900 for a phone!!!???