Should I exchange my Bold for an iPhone? Anyone else here gone either way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rceee, Dec 2, 2008.

1. rceee macrumors member

Any of you guys gone to an iPhone from a BB, or vice-versa?

I was on VZW for years, then got excited about the Storm, then got seriously let down when it came out. So disappointed, in fact, that I went to AT&T. I was between the iPhone and the Bold, and I went with the Bold. I like it a lot, though I've been contemplating exchanging it for the iPhone. It's a tough call.

Here is a list I made last night of personal pros/cons with the two devices.

iPhone
    3rd party gcal sync that works properly (Spanning Sync)
    built in contacts sync
    on screen keyboard
    Native To Do app that syncs with ToodleDo (my task manager)
    pinch zoom in gmaps, etc.
    apps store

no mms
    no video

Bold
    can do mms
    can do video
    free gcal/contacts sync (with Google mobile app--somewhat buggy)

gmail/imap works but only with Google App
    built-in IMAP is generally busted if you aren't a corporate exchange user; only unidirectional deletion sync and no IMAP folder browsing (very disappointing)
    bluetooth won't work with Mac
    Can't use as a drive on Mac
    Mac support generally busted
    no app store

I tried to make the list insightful and not just the obvious stuff. If anyone has any thoughts or feelings regarding switching or having already switched one way or the other, please share. Thanks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

gCal now supports iCal sync natively. The story hit the wires this morning.

So there's another pro for the iPhone list.

3. mr-macintosh macrumors member

both the lack of MMS and Video can be resolved by jailbreaking, so for that list of pro's and con's I would say go with the iPhone although the Bold is also very cool

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Really?

I think the iPhone is the best looking phone physically there is.

Bar none.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think the choice between the Bold and the iPhone depends on each person's needs, they're both great phones. But from what I see on your pro/con list I think you should go with the iPhone.

6. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Yes I have owned and used both the Blackberry Bold and the iPhone. I am currently using the iPhone. Both phones have there plus sides and minus sides. I am using the iPhone currently because of Mobile Me. I own a business and need to have my contacts, calendars, and email with me at all times. I am a road salesman and while on the road, the iPhone is my mobile office. Mobile Me is such a strong selling point for me that I keep using the iPhone. Now that is not to say that the iPhone is a better phone than the Blackberry Bold, but it has the wireless sync to keep me current on the road. So pick your poison, both are excellent phones but I NEED Mobile Me. PS, love the Bold also.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've had both. went from iPhone to Bold, now back to iPhone. Guess which one I would recommend... :cool:

8. payup macrumors member

it DOES???????????? how i miss that one?! where? how?

As for the topic, i never had a bb, but everyone who has one who i give my iphone to look at are usually impressed, and their main concern is the keyboard. But i tried competing with bb users on who can type faster, and i'll do 2x the text in the same time with less errors typically - iphone's keyboard just takes a few days to get used to it.

9. rceee thread starter macrumors member

Nice... care to elaborate?

10. rceee thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure it's a personal thing. But yeah, the iPhone looks like something out of the 80's to me, physically (when the screen is off). It's just black plastic and an lcd. Very boring. The button gets loose and wiggles, too.

The Bold looks muscular yet sleek, high contrast. Best phone keyboard money can buy, etc.

The big thing is really how great OSX Mobile looks on the iPhone, of course.

But whatever, I'm more concerned with functionality at this point.

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Bold is okay, new and flashy, but after a month I'd be bored as hell with it. Just the same old blackberry jus a little quicker and has a better UI.

Extremely dissapointed in the Internet speed on the bold, did multiple unbiased side by side test and the blackberry failed everytime by a good 10-15 seconds. Keeps running script on the full web pages and takes forever.

12. ppenner macrumors newbie

davidlw-
    since your a road salesman and on the road a lot, how's the ATT service been for you?

While I do not travel for business, I do need to make sure I'm not dropping calls when on the phone with clients in my office. Sometimes my calls can last up to an 1 hour.

My cell phone is the primary source of business for talking.

The syncing is also very important to me as you've stated in your post.

Thanks

13. ajpak macrumors member

I had a 16gb white iphone i sold to get a bold.... I would have to say that blackberries are much better just because of blackberry messenger that is the only thing i miss about the blackberry. Real reason i got rid of it is because the web browser sucks and it really is all business no fun at all :(.... I went back to the iPhone cause i love the touch screen. Also i had to get rid of it because no option to turn 3g off so your phone is constantly searching for a 3g network which burns the crap out of your battery. Blackberries are known for there superb battery life but, thats another flaw of that phone the battery life lasts about a day and its down to 20 - 40% with heavy texts, calls, emails, bbm.... With the iphone i turn off 3g, wifi, and lower my brightness and i last like 2 days! Anyway thats what i thought about the bold still a great device but in the end i came back to the iphone and im absolutely happy with it again :) although i went from a 16gb to a 8gb :(

PS: iPhone users need something like blackberry messenger too such an amazing im system :)

14. rceee thread starter macrumors member

See, I guess that worries me a little, though :) I hear all these stories of people turning off 3G and stuff on the iPhone just to make the battery get them through a whole day. So far with the Bold I have never used more than half a charge in a day. Hmm...

But certainly, I agree, as web browsing goes, nothing touches the iPhone.

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't know how the 3G fares but my 2G iPhone goes for 3 days of normal use without recharge.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The bold is a really great phone, and it is very sexy. The keyboard is stellar, I really loved it. However, the trackball I did not like. On most blackberries (the pearl, the 8800 series, etc) the trackball has a bigger dip around it, so its much easier to scroll. With the Bold, the ball is set pretty far down in the face, which means you can't move the trackball as far in one motion, so you end up scrolling like a mad person. This is especially horrible in the browser. The Browser renders great, and is almost as fast as the iPhone, but navigation with the trackball leaves a lot to be desired.

The messaging and email is stellar. Especially if friends or family have BBs, too. The Blackberry Messenger is really cool, and I liked how well the beejive free trial I had worked. There is a lot to be said about the background abilities. The screen on the phone is gorgeous as well. Crisper than the iPhones, but smaller. Battery life, for me, was the same as my iPhone.

That's about where the good things end though. The OS is outdated, especially compared to the iPhone. The top level menus are pretty, but down deep it is the same blackberry OS that has been around forever (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on your perspective). Also, even though it is a lot newer, the iPhone's app base is a lot stronger. However, the blackberry does have more business oriented apps, and the Bold comes standard with a lite version of Docs to Go (which are office applications).

If you have a mac, you can't beat the seamless integration with the iPhone. The blackberry syncing apps were a pain in the rear to use, and I am glad to be rid of them.

I think if I had never owned and iPhone I would have fallen in love with the Bold. It really is a great phone. However, for my needs the iPhone is a perfect fit. I am a student and an executive officer in my local IEEE branch, so I need to be able to manage my calendar and a modest amount of emails. With my mac, MobileMe and my iPhone I am seamlessly integrated no matter where I am. You really can't put a price on that. Apple hit a homerun with it.

In the end, though, it really comes down to what you need. All business? I'd stick with the blackberry. All play? I'd say the iPhone. If you are mix, like most of us I'd say, then you really need to weigh what is most important to you in a smart phone/ultra portable computing device, and make your decision from there.

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Gmail IMAP should work fine on a bberry or an iphone...:confused:

If you need kickass calendar and tasks, go for the blackberry.

If you want a strong multimedia experience, go for the iPhone.

18. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Well ppenner, that is a tough one. If you want the total honest answer to your question about dropped calls that last a hour, Verizon with a Blackberry is the answer for that. I had VZ and hated to leave them. I needed Mobile Me more than anything else so I went to the iPhone. iPhone on AT&T has gotten better with their upgrades and the iPhone updates. Not perfect but much better. Now if VZ had a iPhone WOW look out, but that won't happen for a while if ever. The Storm on VZ will be a great system when the bugs are worked out but you still won't have Mobile Me which is soooo important for me and my business. So here I am with the iPhone and Mobile Me and seems to work pretty well with all of the upgrades. Hope that helps. To let you know how important Mobile Me is, I gave up a Bold to get it. Gosh why doesn't Blackberry play well with Macs?

19. tritonj macrumors 6502a

depends what you are going to use it for, and what you want

if you want a gadget then get an iPhone

if you want something to do e-mail on the go and other "office" work then blackberry is the better choice