should i get 2nd gen ipad in april or just wait til 3rd gen in april 2012?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thesixthman88, Nov 24, 2010.

1. thesixthman88 macrumors newbie

hey guys, i know theres a million questions like these but i think mines is a little different cuz im thinking WAYYY ahead to the 3rd gen ipad.

I know that the april update will not bring significant changes, with a front facing webcam and upgraded ram most likely, but i know that apple tends to wait til 3rd generation before really bringing out the big guns with significantly better features, etc etc.

I want to get the ipad in april but im also a bit skeptical because im not sure how solid the used market is when it comes to ipads. I am willing to take the $100 hit if i buy this april and sell in april 2012 but I just want to know if I will have any takers when it comes to selling my potential, used 2nd gen ipad.

i feel that craigs list is sketchy and maybe ebay or amazon is a better way to go. has anyone had trouble selling a used ipad for $100 bucks under what you paid for it? and what are your opinions on what i am thinking about doing?

thanks, appreciate it

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Well, since we do absolutely know for certain what features both models will have, we can definitely tell you which one you should get. Clearly, the third generation will be better than the second. I mean, it's just abundantly obvious. Look at the specs Apple has posted.

Seriously: No one can answer your question. Until the devices are announced, any list of features is just speculation. We can try to assume the later generation will be better, but look at what happened with the iPhone 4's antenna.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Speculatorus maximumus!

You know there will be a new model in April based on what?

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Wait for version 5, derr.

And for the record, I've had no problems selling two of my iPads for >$100 profit on Amazon.

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Get the second gen now. Today in fact. Don't wait....

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

this sounds like the first thread i ever made...

"should i buy the ipod touch 3G or wait for the 4G model instead..."

:D:D

historical reocurrence.....

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

look at the 3rd gen iPod touch and you'll see why this is wrong.

anyways, we dont even know if apple will update the iPad every year. it could be every 2 years.

8. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad 2 will be big; with: a gyro, 128Gb option?, front-facing camera, rear-facing camera - 3.2mp, more RAM.

And, currently, the only thing I can see in the iPad 3 is: a better rear-facing camera and possibly, a "retina" display.

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Why not wait until 2014 and get 5h gen iPad?
    Oh wait, if the world ends in 2012 you won't get one.
    April iPad 2nd gen is just a rumor. And there are a million threads asking this same dumb question...
    If can't decide: Flip a coin, Roll a dice, Spin a bottle, etc.

If you want my opinion, just get an iPad now, instead of waiting until April hoping a new iPad may come when nobody really knows for sure.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm leaving a clause in my will requiring my great-great-grandchild to buy the 90th Gen iPad in the hopes that I will vicariously enjoy it from some possible afterlife.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Why not freeze yourself, and write in your will to wake you up in 90 years, Vanilla Sky style :cool:

12. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

fixed it for ya

13. alaskahill macrumors newbie

You shouldn't even wait for the second gen and should get the first gen today, since you clearly have too much time on your hands and need something more useful to occupy your mind :)

14. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I'm holding out for the 36th gen. I'll be 80 at that time and will have many uses for it. All these dumb threads, grow a pair and make your own decisions, we don't care.

15. dacapo macrumors 6502

Save for special discount sales (like Black Friday) and back-to-school deals, Apple's iOS products usually don't get discounted. And usually, you can count on at least one model upgrade per year.

Based on this information, if you want to maximize the time you have to enjoy your iOS product, the best time to buy the product as soon as it is available. So, based on your forecast, you should be planning to buy either the 2nd gen iPad in April 2011 (?) or the 3rd gen iPad in April 2012 (??? :rolleyes:)

That way, you can use whatever version for close to a full year and then sell it on eBay or whatever when you want to upgrade.

Good luck.

16. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I'm starting to wonder if the people that ask "should I buy..." questions like these are the same confused people that drive extremely slow in the passing lane on my way to work. "Should I drive faster or get the hell out of the way. Please help me decide."

17. IamHermann0069 macrumors member

IamHermann0069

I, like so many others, have to wonder why people are not capable of making their own decisions. I understand asking questions about specific specs/features (even though they are posted online) but the classic "Should I buy?" drives me insane! Nobody can tell you what is best for you! If you want something, and think you will use it, THEN BUY IT!

Now that I got that off my chest.... You are asking if you should wait for a 3rd generation when the 2nd generation has not been announced or even confirmed? I personally do not understand people waiting for next generation products... There will always be a newer and better product (with Apple it is generally annually). However, Apple seems to get it right on the first generation, and the hardware generally does not have many drastic changes. The iPhone 4 is the first time they drastically changed the iPhone from the first generation. Yes, there will always be improvements and new features, but it took 3 more generations to really "change" the iPhone.

The other aspect you can factor in, is the huge resale value on Apple products. I have purchased every new iPhone on launch day and will most likely do the same with the iPad. The great thing about the products is that you can usually resell the previous generation for more than half of what you bought it for. I actually got full price back on my iPhone 3G, and more than what I payed for the iPhone 3G on eBay.

So to answer your question to the best of my ability... I really do not suggest waiting for the 3rd generation, or even the 2nd generation. iPad is a great product and you can't go wrong with the one that is available now.

18. MorganHiller macrumors newbie

MorganHiller

Maybe with a few pie charts and graphs showing pros and cons, to help us help you in this major life decision.

19. IamHermann0069 macrumors member

IamHermann0069

LMAO!

Hopes
    Dreams
    Life goals
    Orientation
    IQ
    salary before and after taxes
    Average hours of sleep per night
    Marital status
    Social security number

Oh wait... None of this helps! If you want it and have the money, then BUY IT!

20. Pinger macrumors regular

I'm waiting until the telekinetic iPad comes out(prob be generation 6 or 7), just think of the app and it opens, no keyboard or screen touching is needed just think of the word and it is auto typed for you.. best part is I'll never have to clean the screen again. :D