Should I get 550X or 560X if using an external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markwco, Jul 26, 2019.

1. markwco macrumors newbie

I am planning to purchase a 2019 MacBook Pro. I'll be getting a machine with a 1TB SSD and 32GB of memory. I plan on an i9 CPU.

My original plan was to go with the base 555X. Reason is I don't do anything that is heavy on the graphics side. I do minimal gaming and don't do anything type of photo rendering or desktop video. If I ever do anything it will be minor. Yet I do major multitasking with many apps open and that's why I've leaned towards a core i9.

Issue is I'll be using this with a 32" DisplayPort 4K monitor. Does the GPU affect this? If found out for the same price I can get a machine with the either the 2.4Ghz Core i9 and a 555X GPU or a 2.3Ghz Core i9 and 560X GPU. Original plan was go with the lower GPU, higher CPU. Yet now that I'm thinking of that external monitor is that going to be a bigger drain on the CPU or the GPU? If GPU I'd prefer to go with a 560X and then 2.3Ghz CPU. TIA.

2. mariogt macrumors member

mariogt

Go for the 2.3ghz i9 and 560X, a better graphics card in your use case is more important than a 100 mhz difference in the CPU. (your external monitor will be driven by the GPU)

3. pshufd macrumors 65816

My 2014 MBP drives one 4K monitor and it has Intel integrated but there is sometimes lag. I'd say get at least discrete, though, I don't think that you need a particularly fast one. I think that the more important thing about discrete graphics is the dedicated RAM.

4. Khaos1 macrumors member

Khaos1

Regardless of your choice for the GPU, the CPU differences between the 2.3 and 2.4 have been essentially negligible.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting the high end mac, why skimp on the GPU? Just bite the bullet and get the 560x ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. leman macrumors G3

It doesn’t matter really. For just displaying normal UI, the GPU is perfectly adequate. It won’t be able to deal with 4K 3D-graphics, but then again, no Mac laptop GPU could.