Should I get a 4S, or 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Right, so (another thread, sorry!) I'm getting an iPhone, and I'm going to Uni, so I'm on a budget, but I can afford one.

I've never owned a smartphone before, but I've got a touch so I know my way around the basics.

I doubt I'll be using it for the 4G/LTE feature, a) because I'm getting sim only and b) because having never owned a smartphone, it's not like I need it, normal wireless internet should be enough!

But I will be using it as camera (I love photography, but broke my camera, and can;t get an iPhone and a camera)

And I'll be using it for hopefully 3 - 5 years as I like to keep my phones for as long as I can.

Should I go for the 5, or 4S?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Only you can choose !

Look at both specs to compare them both.

:rolleyes:

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

3-5 buy current buy the 5. Don't buy backwards and expect to be satisfied in several years.

4. benboyd5 macrumors newbie

You say that now, but wait til you have a smartphone with the Internet at your fingertips anytime and anywhere you want it. :)

That goes for any smart phone, not just an iPhone. My first Palm Treo opened my eyes and my bill to the world of data on the go.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're expecting to hold on to the phone for 3 to 5 years then go for the 5. Makes more sense to buy todays technology and use it for 3 to 5, then buy last years technology trying to do the same.

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

If you plan on keeping it for 3-5 years, just put in the initial investment and buy the 5. It's a complete improvement and will far more future-proof than the 4S.

7. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

I'm just gonna echo what everyone else said and say that if you're planning on this being your phone for 3 years+ then certainly go with the iPhone 5 over the 4S. You'll have software support longer than you will with the 4S in addition to it being an obviously better device.

8. shannonbrooke, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

shannonbrooke macrumors member

The iPhone 5 has a slightly better camera than the iPhone 4S because it works better in low-light. So if that's one deciding factor, go with the 5. As far as I know, once the iPhone 5 comes out, the 4S will go down to $99 for a 8GB and that'll be the only model available, (they've been doing this for years) so if you're on a super-tight budget, then I guess do that, but for $100 more you can have the iPhone 5 with 2x as much storage, which is more than worth it IMO. My mom regretted buying the 3GS when the iPhone 4 came out because the 8GB wasn't enough storage space even for her and she saw all the cool things my iPhone 4 could do that hers couldn't, and for $100 more she could've had a way better phone, but was enticed by that $99 price at the time.

9. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

the $99 iphone 4s will be 16gb not 8gb this time around

10. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

As its already been said......if you're planning on keeping it 3+ years....you'd be wise to invest the extra $100 into the iPhone 5. Apps will be catered for the bigger screen in the future and made with that in mind. Also the extra CPU power will be more future proof.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure what "I am going to uni" means, but....

The I-4 and I4s are very good phones and will do plenty. And save you lots of money. Millions, and I mean millions of people are still using them and are happy. In fact, plenty are still on the 3.

You can pick one of these up really cheap locally and have no contract. Then if you decide you want to go for the latest and greatest, then go for it.

If you get the 4 or the 5 now form the carriers, you will have a 2 year contract.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Uni is university = higher education.

14. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If you can afford to, definitely buy the iPhone 5.

Double the speed and twice the RAM over the iPhone 4S will be very nice for taking photos and processing them. (and for any other CPU/GPU intensive app you run)

Plus I think the iPhone 5 looks nicer. :D

15. Radio macrumors 68000

If u are on a budget don't listen to anyone else on here

Get a prepaid phone. Don't ruin your credit

An iPhone is a waste of money.

You did the right thing by asking but if $200 is a problem for u then u haven't done your homework

The cost of a phone is of little impact to your overall cost of owning the phone

16. kalexn macrumors 6502

I think you should get a 5. For $100 more you are getting a one year newer phone. Plus, you mention you love photography and the camera has been upgraded (how much of a difference it really makes is debatable) and since you want to keep it a few years, definitely go for the 5.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would agree. First smartphone. May not even need it. People going to "uni" have been know to have a higher rate or lost phones. Find a used 4, or even a 3 and get straightalk. There will be lots of people selling them because they are OCD about having the very latest slickest phone. If you "get into" the whole iphone thing, you can later get a better phone.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Honestly if you're planning for 3-5 years I'd get the 5. $100 extra over the course of 3-5 years will be minor.

2 years, I'd get the 4S.

19. Photogdave macrumors regular

Photogdave

I agree with others. You WILL start using it more. Its great device to have all the time.
    And for an extra $100, why not a much better phone, you'll use it later.
    The 4s is great, I have one, but 5 is definitely worth the extra.
    And LTE.....just wait, you'll use it and you'll be glad you bought 5 then.

Also, to keep it 3-5 years, for sure go iPhone 5. Good luck keeping it going that long(i mean accident wise)

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Until I've had the handset in my grasp I cannot personally say it looks nicer. All we've seen thus far is Apple's keynote and pictures. We don't know how it 'feels' or operates.

Some said the 4s was faster than the 4 ,but in general usage it is a bit snappier. Again we don't know how this will feel with the 5 in speed.

Is it not 8mp camera specs but better lens so in essence will it give better quality than the 4s ?

Some of the reasons why I'm not "definatly" buying the iPhone 5 over my 4s.

I'm waiting for the unboxing and first thought you tube videos along with playing with a demo model in my local network store ,before I decide to invest £530.

I'm not being negative against the iPhone 5 and if it is a true upgrade then I will purchase it. I just don't impulse buy and neither am I a fanboy or isheep !

21. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If you can afford to have an iPhone than you should spend the extra $100 and get the 5. Pick up an extra shift or two, or cut down on eating out for 2-3 weeks and that'll make up the difference in cost. Theres no point to use an upgrade on old technology especially when you pay so much for your bill every year and plan on keeping the phone a few years. Doesnt make much sense.