Should I get a Blackberry or Mogul™ by HTC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laravia18, Nov 9, 2007.

1. laravia18 macrumors member

I was looking to get a PDA phone. I am signed up for Sprint so that is one thing to be taken into consideration. I am looking for a phone that would sync easily with my macbook via Bluetooth. I would love to get the Mogul(http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASA...language=EN&id12=CHP_PhonesTab_Link_AllPhones) because the sliding keyboard and the keys are wider, so it makes it better for typing but I am afraid of the compatibility issues with my computer since it runs Windows. So now I am seeking advice from you guys, what should I buy?

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Go with the Mogul assuming you can find Mac sync software for it. I'm not sure iif any of the Mac win mob solutions support the Mogul yet. However the nice thing about Mogul is WinMobile and its vast app library. Crackberry has some third party apps but its not as extensive as win mob. Also I almost want to break out into hives when I see a Crackberry. I support about 80 of these things in my office and their windows software sucks butt HARD. I mean the first crackberry we installed in this office a few years ago got a C++ runtime error after install. This is the mark of REALLY crappy programming and it hasn't gotten much better since. That being said ActiveSuck for WinMobile isn't much better but that is where the 3rd party apps come into play....at least for the Mac.

Again I'd go with the Mogul but be aware that you WILL need to manage the apps you run on the thing. WinMob is a good OS but it will slow to a crawl and even crash if you simply open up one app after another after another. Its not a Palm. It tries to be in terms of app management, but you NEED to free up resources when you are done with the app. Theoretically WinMobile does close unused apps when it gets low on memory but by that time things are already getting twitchy. A crackberry you generally do not need to manage this but forget about multitasking in that OS. It is VERY limited and again the software selection if not nearly as big.
    Again Mogul for my recommendation if for no other reason then its overall flexibility.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was running an 8125 which is Cingular's version of the HTC and used Missing Sync for the Mac. It worked flawlessly so I'd also say go with the Mogul.

4. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

http://store.markspace.com/product.php?id=6215

$40 and you can sync the WM device to the Mac.

I'd go WM, I agree. It's tough to compete with such awesome third party programs that WM has. I myself have a smartphone and a Dell Axim PDA.. WM is slow, a bit unstable.. but in the end the selection kind of makes it worthwhile.

5. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Just a heads up, WM phones tend to just randomly crash from time to time. Remember, this is still a windows device you will be carrying around with you

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm we've seen the iPhone's fair share of crashes as well. But I have to say that of all the WM devices I've had, I only had two freezes and one major crash over the space of 7+ years.

7. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Again you NEED to manage your resources. I've owned a WM5 phone for the last year and have had 1 freeze up on it. Add a third party app to add a button to close the app and be sure to close it when its done and you will be fine. The issue with WM is when you close the app it doesn't close it. The app is simply minimized and is still eating resources. This confuses people who own WM devices and is the single biggest reason for crashing\freezing issues. Well that and simply poor development by the carrier. Remember these are not one size fit all OS's. vendors create drivers for their hardware and tweak the feature set. If Verizon does a piss poor job at customizing the software for the hardware that is NOT Microsoft's fault. Hell I've seen WM devices that are unstable on one carrier's network but rock solid on another one's. Its all about their development teams.
    Like it or not WM uses less resources then OS X on the iPhone because its not an OS shoehorned into hardware that was never designed for that OS. WM has a completely different profile that is designed around lower resource devices.

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Another vote for windows mobile. Keep track of how many apps you've got open and you'll be fine. If I didn't use an iphone I'd be all over the Tilt, HTC makes nice phones.

9. laravia18 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone! I twitch when I hear Crapberry as well, now its nice to know it isn't an necessary evil! Oh and thanks for the link to the software!!!

10. cplusON3R macrumors regular

hmm.. I dont see that HTC phone when I go to the sprint store.. all I see is their 'touch' HTC.. is it a special order?