Should I get a new laptop, a laptop battery or an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joannakumpula, Aug 1, 2012.

1. joannakumpula macrumors newbie

I'm going into grade 11 this year & I've had my Acer Aspire 5516 since 8th grade, so for about 2 years now. The problem with it is that the battery is completely dead, there's no point of me having it in my computer cause there's no power to it, I could just run on the AC power alone. It's been like this since about 3 months after I got it... I'm getting tired of it. It's hard to lug around a cord 24/7 when a laptop is meant to be easily portable... I don't think getting a new laptop is a good idea now because I'm planning on getting a MacBook in 2 years when I go to university. I think a laptop battery would be a bad idea cause it would just die easily again plus they aren't worth the money. I've wanted an iPad for a while now. I've read about it online & there's apps I can get to make microsoft office documents, which is mostly what I need. I'd still have my computer to print the documents, when I save up I might even get a wireless printer. When it comes to space, I have a 32 gb iPod touch with a lot of room left on it. Plus, I still have my Acer laptop to use to email my documents to if needed. My uncle even suggested to get an external hard drive for an iPad. & the only problem with iPad is flash, which isn't really a problem for me. I can still go on the internet & browse like I normally would. Please don't tell me to save up for a MacBook because at the moment my AC power port on my Acer is broken & I need something to make documents by September. (I get paid pretty good & have good hours so I can afford an iPad, but I still need money for school supplies.)
    I won't be using the iPad to take notes, that's what my pen & paper are for (haha), I specifically want it because it's portable to make school documents on it, to browse the internet, & of course listen to music & apps. (not so much music though, I have an iPod touch 4th generation.) Which one should I get? (With my iPad, I'd still have a laptop to use.. & I know Acer's aren't that good but I'm a teen & didn't need something super fancy.)

2. noteple macrumors 65816

Battery No, iPad yes.

MacBook when you need it.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

If the iPad is capable of doing what you need at school then I'd say yeah grab it. The iPad 2 is a great deal at $399 if you only need 16GB of storage. You'd want to make sure it doesn't get stolen though, they're probably pretty easy to nick if you take your eyes off it. If you plan to do a lot of reading on it, the iPad 3 may be the go. I do a lot of proof reading on it, and I think it's so much better than on an iPad 2. Try em both out if you can.

4. joannakumpula thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its capable, my friends who have one tell me it can make word processed docs. & yup thats the deal i saw! it's pretty great! like you said with only 16 gb of storage I'd be getting an external hard drive or just using my laptop i have now. (i have practically no space on my laptop right now anyways...) & thanks, right now I'm just trying to save money if I can, I think the iPad 2 will be enough but I'm going to try them both out at a store :)

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

What is this external hard drive for an iPad you are talking about? The USB port on the iPad is deliberately disabled so not to accept external hard drive. I think it can only be used to import photos into the iPad.

6. joannakumpula thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha sorry let me rephrase that, he suggested to hook up the external hard drive to my laptop & sync my iPad documents to my computer, then put them on the hard drive

7. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Theres also wifi enabled hard drive just for the iPad. I think the iPad will be a good match for you since your needs don't seem to be demanding. The only thing I would reccomend is a nice stand and keyboard if this is to be your main computer. I have used my ipad for weeks on end as an only computer with a mophie powerstand and the apple wireless keyboard. Flash is not really an issue since most websites have recognized the ipad as a popular machine and hence have made their site compatible. Even adobe has stopped developing mobile flash.

8. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Searching on Amazon, you can get a replacement battery for less than $50usd or £40... Save your money so you can afford a better laptop for university...

First, try free options... Have you tried this tip from the Acer website?:
    - unplug power adapter and remove battery from computer
    - push and hold power button for 10 seconds and then release the button
    - plug in the power adapter and then reinsert battery and turn on computer...

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It can, but you might want to consider a wireless keyboard. It can be very tedious doing a lot of writing on a touch screen.

10. joannakumpula thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to take it in for repair, my brother broke the charging port. And to be honest, I don't want to spend a lot of money on my laptop when I'm going to be getting a new one in 2 years, but thanks anyways!

----------

Haha I was planning on getting one :)

----------

I work at Walmart & I get paid well, I wouldn't have to worry about saving. And I rather not buy a battery for the piece of junk that I have. And my ac port for my charger is broken, i need to get that fixed. And yes I've tried that before when my battery stopped working ages ago but thanks :p (and I don't wanna get a battery if it's just going to die on me quickly again.)

11. joannakumpula thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just called a repair shop & they said it would cost $179 to fix the power jack... I don't wanna spend that much on a computer I'm getting rid of soon. Is there any way of getting everything on that computer onto an external hard drive until I can get another computer (or iPad)

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

He means for his laptop.