Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
hi-

my friend's girlfriend is offering me a 15inch powerbook at 25% off retail, still in the box, fully loaded.

I'm not really in the market for a new computer - meaning i don't really have the money right now. my ibook is a few years old, and i had been thinking about getting a desktop in a year.

I could probably negotiate the price with her, or do some sort of payment plan... she used to work at apple or an apple store or something, so she probably got the laptop at a discount.

i have until wednesday to decide.

any advice?

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Well, it's probably the cheapest you'll a new PBook for, and you're buying it from someone you can probably trust. If you can swing it financially go for it, but it's not worth breaking the bank if you don't really need it.

-Tim

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
toaster_oven said:
hi-

my friend's girlfriend is offering me a 15inch powerbook at 25% off retail, still in the box, fully loaded.

I'm not really in the market for a new computer - meaning i don't really have the money right now. my ibook is a few years old, and i had been thinking about getting a desktop in a year.

I could probably negotiate the price with her, or do some sort of payment plan... she used to work at apple or an apple store or something, so she probably got the laptop at a discount.

i have until wednesday to decide.

any advice?

Sounds like a good deal.
If you really are into a the market for a desktop and don't need a laptop, then its much cheaper to get a dektop than a laptop.
A 20-inch fully loaded iMac costs less than a fully loaded powerbook 15-inch (even with 25% discount),
but a fully loaded iMac is faster and has a better display and also 3x the disk space.

So if you need/want a laptop then this is THE deal, but if you want a desktop then maybe a new iMac next summer is the best deal..

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Send her towards me...a fully loaded 15" PB at 25% off is awesome. If you want it at all I would say go for it, otherwise you could always look at it as an investment, purchase it (fronting the cash) and attempt to sell it for some profit on your part.

I would think this should be ok (because you are not directly selling employee products, like if you worked there and used a discount then turned to sell for profit...) but you might want to check if you take this road to make sure its kosher.

Seriously though, if its a fully loaded - of which I am assuming 128mb vid, upgraded 5400rpm drive, don't really even care about ram cause its cheaper outside Apple, and a 1.5 chip - then seriously send her to me if you don't want it...I am currently in the market, so unless she only wants to sell it to a personal friend, I'm game if your not ;)

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Remember that you save even more at a sale by not buying anything at all.

If you don't particularly want a PowerBook per se, and are just considering this because it's cheap, then consider that the money you don't have now that you're nonetheless contemplating spending on the PB would really come in handy when you go to buy the desktop you want.

Unless, of course, you're willing to trade desktop later for PowerBook now. I am making the assumption from your first post that both is not an option.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
thanks for the advice everyone- i really appreciate it.

I think i'm going to hold off for the time being... my ibook is perfectly fine for now, and when i finally apply and get into grad school, i will get a new computer because i'll have no choice.

efoto - she has a prospective buyer, but is offering it to friends first. sorry.

thanks again!

-TO

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
toaster_oven said:
efoto - she has a prospective buyer, but is offering it to friends first. sorry.

No worries. If things do not work out for her with this current buyer and she is still looking to sell, let me know.

Thanks, take care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.