iPad Should I get a referb iPad Air, or new 2nd gen Mini? Please help me decide!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Daniel3102, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hi iPad people! I am very interested in buying an iPad! I was wondering if you think its a better deal to get a referbed Air, or a NEW 2nd gen mini? I can get a new mini for 350, or I can get a referbed Air for just a few bucks more. I think it all comes down to screen size. They both have the same specs. My problem is that Im hesitant to buy a referbed iPad! has anyone ever gotten a referb?! What was its condition?! Is it just worth it to get the mini?

PLEASE help me decide!!!! I kinda want the referbed Air, but I am VERY nervous about it being a referb!!

Thank you!!!

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The only difference is the size.

I got a refurb iPhone 4S when my original broke. The first refurb went bad. They gave me a second refurb and it was fine.

Personally, I like new, but Apple refurbished are as close to new as a refurb can get.

I said "refurb" a lot....

3. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

How was the condition of the referb? Any scratches? I really think Im gonna try the referb! Also, can I pick it up, or can I only order online and get it delivered?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

New Mini 2.

1. Its new
    2. Its got TouchID.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You cannot purchase a refurb from a retail location. They are only available from apple.com and will be shipped to your home.

And if you're going with a refurb anyway, why not consider a refurb Mini 2 for even less? Unless you're taking a trade in into the store (only good if you're trading in an old iPad towards a new one) or have to have one in your hands today, there's really no reason to get a brand new Mini 2 while refurbs are available. They're factory reconditioned by Apple to be "as new", and carry the same 1 year warranty. So why pay more?

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The MIni 2 doesn't have Touch ID

----------

Returns where like new.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh youre right, touchID was second gen retina mini... Actually mini 3.

OP, get that one. Use a complex password+TouchID.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

If you can live without Touch ID (which is the only difference) you should save $100 and get the mini 2.

9. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

You're right in saying the only difference is the screen size. I love my mini 2 and its portability. However, I will admit I miss the larger 9.7" screen for things like games and surfing the web when portability isn't a big deal. THis is precisely why I am buying an Air 2 this week to have as my "home" iPad, while still keeping my mini 2 as my portable travel/work iPad. I was going to see it to best buy for $256, but it's more valuable to hang onto it and use for those purposes.

If you don't need or want a larger screen you will LOVE the mini 2. It's a zippy little iPad!

10. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

If you live in a city that has a Microcenter, you can get a new Air original 32GB WIFI do $399....another option!

11. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Refurbs are like new basically . They take it apart and add a new chassis. My iPhone 4 back when it came out had a damaged speaker the day after I got it in the mail and the refurb was amazing. I threw the phone , dropped it on concrete and survived hail storms for the 20 months I owned it.

----------

Are they authorized resellers though ?

12. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys! Let start by saying thank you for all of the replies!!!

OK, by a surprising (and awesome) turn of events, I came home with a NEW iPad mini 2!!! Basically, I have had enough saved for the mini 2, but I didn't have enough for the 30 bucks tax (hey that's alot for someone that's working minimum wage! Lol!). So I was telling a buddy of mine that I was 30 bucks short and he gave me the money!! At first I didn't accept it and I kept giving it back but he insisted that I take it and get an iPad (maybe so I'd stop talking about it! Lol). So, I decided on the mini 2 and I got it!!! It's a 32 gig space gray model! I LOVE IT!! Thank you to everyone that helped me decide!!!