Should I get a refurb 15 inch and resell it on skylake launch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huffy15, Sep 14, 2015.

  1. huffy15 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #1
    Hi,

    I really need a new Macbook Pro 15 inch to replace my old late 2008. I'm wondering if I should get it right now or wait for the new Skylake model. I need the skylake model in order to use it with a 4k display. I'm a web entrepreneur so I don't need a beast. Just something quick.

    Option 1 : Buying a refurb 15 inch and resell it next year when the new skylake will came out.
    Option 2 : Crossing my fingers for a skylake's launch in October.

    Thank you
     
  2. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #2
    Oct is almost here. I'd just wait it out. If they don't refresh with Skylake in the next 4-6 weeks then I'd go with your Option 1.
     
  3. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

    z31fanatic

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2015
    Location:
    Mukilteo, WA USA
    #3
    Late 2013 and newer 15" can output 4k@60hz.
    If I were you I'd buy a 2014 model from Adorama for $1950. You can resell it in a few months and only lose a couple hundred dollars. They are new, not refurbished.

    http://www.adorama.com/ACMGXC2LLA.html
     
  4. austinpike macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    Location:
    MN
    #4
    ^ The Adorama one was $1749 a couple weeks ago. Not that that does you much good now. But if you can stand to wait a few weeks for a possible Skylake update, you should keep your eyes open for other deals in the meantime.
     
  5. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #5
    Option 3: Purchase a used 2013 or 2014 and resell when Skylake comes out.
     
  6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

    z31fanatic

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2015
    Location:
    Mukilteo, WA USA
  7. chipchen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2002
    #7
    I always tell people to buy when they need it. There will ALWAYS be something new coming down the pipeline. That being said, Skylake is probably the biggest upgrade in years. And if you don't mind taking a few hundred loss... then yes, buy now and sell later. But I'd buy local or out of state since you'd likely be charged tax from Apple refurb store and that would make the loss bigger.
     
  8. Queen6 macrumors 603

    Queen6

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Enjoying Better Things
    #8
    As you need to ask, I think you should save your money and buy the Mac you want when it`s released.

    Q-6
     
  9. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #9
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait till mid-october.

    I still have a mac pro 08 upgraded on sata 3 but my acd30 doesn't have a retina display.

    I hope we'll see something new next month.
     
  10. Razeus macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #10
    Sounds like a hassle and waste of time and money.
     
  11. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #11
    Skylake MacBook Pro updates won't appear until Q1 2016. If I really needed a computer I'd buy now & not faff about with a temporary solution that could be a lengthy temporary solution until February/March 2016.
     
  12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

    Aluminum213

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    #12
    what's happening October? the magical skylake release date?
     
  13. dingdong macrumors regular

    dingdong

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #13
    There won't be anymore Events until Q1 2016 so no Skylake this year.
     
  14. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #14
    What are you asking me for? I'm answering the OP's question. Talk to the OP if you want that answer.
     
  15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #15
    All the current macbook pros do 4K output at 60Hz so if you need it now buy it now.
     
  16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #16
    No it's likely we'll get the updated skylake imacs but no rMBP's as the chips aren't due for release until next year.
     
  17. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

    Tankmaze

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #17
    Does the iMac also use the iris pro ? the iris pro is not available in skylake yet CMIIW. So it must be broadwell update for the iMac.
     
  18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #18
    They do currently, but if they go with dedicated GPU's on most of them they might use other chips.
     

Share This Page