Should I get a SSD or a External Hard Drive or both for my 2007 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hulinator8102, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Hulinator8102 macrumors newbie

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro that I want to beef up so I can edit with Final Cut Pro X and also do Game Capture stuff and upload it to Youtube

I've heard several people say SSD on my 07 would be useless because it's a 07 but on the other hand I've heard plenty of people who have SSDs on their older Macbooks and love it. I'm confused lol can anyone give me a straight answer? should I go the external hard drive route in addition to the SSD, or just forget the SSD altogether and just stick with the external or use both.

Also my video camera records in full 1080p HD can I use footage like that on a old Mac with Final Cut Pro X? I also want to retain the HD quality when exporting to Youtube.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm all for SSDs, but on an older MBP like yours I'd suggest saving your money and using it to upgrade when your logic board (inevitably) dies.

3. markus843 macrumors regular

SSD's do significantly increase read/write speeds, but hard drives are being used and have been used for... forever. You don't really "need" a SSD, it's only if you really just need the extra speed. Also, you stated that you have 1080p videos and render them in HD, a hard drive would probably suite you more because there is more memory on a HDD, than a SSD.

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Looks like you MBP has SATA 1 (1.5G), so not as fast as a 3 or 6 G (newer sata conection)

But still faster than a traditional HD.

5. Hulinator8102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so my next question is, I know I want a 2TB external hard drive since I'm mainly going to use my Mac for video editing and game capture the question is what interface should I try and find my Macbook supports both FireWire and USB 2.0

6. desmotesta macrumors member

Are you hoping to edit/process HD video or is it lower resolution like 480P etc?

If it is FULL HD, I would seriously think about upgrading your logic board and/or thelaptop.

I am VERY new to apple and have only used PC based laptops, but editing FULL HD 1900X1200 video on a 5+ yr old laptop is going to be tough

I say save your money and buy a newer MBP (at least early 2011)