Should I get an external monitor or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chandsa, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chandsa Guest

I recently purchased a 13.3" MB and love it! However, the screen size is a little too compact for my photography work. The resolution on these screens is 1200 x 800 and I am wondering if I can get a nice crisp display if I hook this puppy up to an external monitor (possibly 19" or larger) and get the full benefit of the 1920 x 1200 resolution on these bigger monitors. My MB lacks a dedicated video card and I'm a little skeptical that I will be unable to reap the benefits of a higher resolution monitor if I did get one.

Please advice!

Cheers!

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

You will, the MacBook can easily power any 20-24" monitor on the market.

3. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I use this monitor with my black macbook. It too has the integrated graphics (GMA 3100), but actually powers it to it's full resolution (2048x1152) using a mini-dvi to dvi adaptor.
    I used to use an old 19" samsung display at 1024x768 or something like that with my macbook as a dual display. this dell one is actually big enough that I'm just using my macbook in clamshell mode, and JUST using the monitor. best part is the webcam works with OSX without any drivers/3rd party software :).

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

The Samsung in my sig is really awesome! (26")
    I have it hooked up to my MacBook and do all my work on there, and have my MacBook screen for side things, like iTunes, MSN, Skype and some other things. I just wish that they would come up with a good wireless solution to connecting monitors soon, cause I tend to be moving around my house quite often and it gets annoying to resize the windows every time I disconnect.
    Anyway now back on topic, you seem to need it so I would get one. I would look at NewEgg (if your in the US and A), and also if you're not to compare them :p I don't know any European sites like that, cause I can get all my electronics from a site through my dads company, where I get nice discounts :cool: