Should I get Apple Care for my SG sports?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jwlbel, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I just finally got my 42mm space gray black sports. I was wondering if i should buy Apple Care? I bought it using my Amex so I have the double manufacture warranty through Amex.

2. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

I generally don't buy Apple Care as I have found the product either fails within the warranty period or I'm replacing it after about 3 years to keep it current with the software updates.
    However, with this new product, I did buy as for coverage up to two years just felt right. If there is any thing that comes close to what I think is a failure (and Apple agrees), then I know it can be repaired/replaced much cheaper.
    I think it will also come in handy if for some reason, I don't decide to keep after a time, it will help with the resale.

3. Trin813 macrumors member

Trin813

I've never purchased apple care for any of my products and I have a few...I cannot speak for the watch as I do not have one yet but do not think I'll consider it for the AW either.

4. Bromeo macrumors regular

I think the only compelling reason to buy AppleCare for the AW is no-hassle express replacement. Everything else can be covered by AMEX or one's rainy day fund (self insurance). The express replacement provides some peace of mind should you accidentally damage the watch due to your arm flailing into something unforgiving. You have to balance that out against both the cost of the program and the "cost per incident" vs just digging into your own rainy day fund (which can be entirely funded by monies you would have spent on extended warranty for anything over time).

5. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

Never got it for any of my apple products (iPhones 4,5 and 6, iPads 2,3 and Macbook if there is any) but for $50 I did for my watch. My phone has a case that has protected it well. My watch does not. 50$ is well worth it, especially with the express replacements.

6. DribbleCastle, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

I bought it for my SG Watch after thinking about it for a few weeks. A big reason I bought it was potential resale value. Hopefully more people will want to buy it knowing the have some coverage from Apple. Same reason I buy it for my Macs. A little hypocritical as I never buy it for my iPhone or iPad because I typically sell and upgrade them every year. I think Watch rev2 won't be out within a year of the launch. I'm thinking Fall of 2016.

Another big reason is unlike the iPhone/iPad or even a Mac is that you can't really repair this by yourself or even through a third party... yet. Pretty sure the replacement for the Sports Watch is $239. So if you get a scratch and it bugs you, it would cost $239. Compared to $49 (initial) + $69 (service fee). so $118 and you still have another $69 replacement if you have really bad luck.

Also, I figure with it being a Watch I'm more likely to bang it off a door knob or scratch it. I definitely feel more comfortable and less worried about damaging it now. I would recommend it if your thinking about it a lot.

7. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Get it....the 2 incident accidental damage replacement coverage is worth it. And then after you get it, feel the peace of mind as you swim with it, shower with it, roll around in a gravel rock pile with it, etc......And if it does get scratched up and it looks ridiculous and you can't take it, get a hammer, smash the watch (suggested by the apple store rep that helped me with my try on appt., no joke) and then go to the Apple Store and pay $69 to get a brand new replacement.

8. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

I think I would do more damage to myself rolling in a gravel rock pile...OUCH!

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I got it on my Silver Sport. Well worth it, $50 is nothing for the peace of mind it gives me.