Should I get Apple Care with my 16GB 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRaff, Sep 20, 2013.

1. JRaff macrumors newbie

So, I've seen multiple people get Apple Care with their orders, I got up at 3:00AM EST and was able to finish an order by 3:03AM for a 16GB VZ iPhone 5s, upgrading from my 4S.

I really dislike cases.. (this may sound counter intuitive/dumb) but I spent so much on a nice phone, I like to see it.. I like the way it looks and feels without a case.

My 4S survived without a case for most of it's ~2 year life. I've gotten lazy the past few months and it's dropped onto the carpet a few times, but these devices are my babies.. goes in a pocket by itself if it's not in my hand, on a Steelie in my car, on my desk away from the edge, etc...

Is it worth it to buy Apple Care for my device? Accidents do happen and it'd probably be a good idea.. just looking for reassurance. I know most extended warranty's are garbage but how's this? I think I have 30 days to call and order it if I didn't get it with the phone right?

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

If you pay with a credit card, most major credit cards extend a warranty by 1 year for free.

3. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

Yes, you have 30 days and yes you should get it. If your screen cracks, suffers water damage, or just about anything else, you can get it replaced for a $79 cover charge. Otherwise it's a much greater out of pocket expense per case.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Has nothing to so with intuition or intelligence. It's all preference.

As always with questions on the worth of AppleCare it's also a matter of preference. You know the benefits so it's your call to make based on your preferences/priorities/budget. You can't poll others to determine whether anything is worth it to you. Don't overlook the countless prior threads asking whether one should buy AppleCare or not.

Not sure about most. It really just depends on the benefits of the specific credit card in question. One should definitely research the experiences of others with filing such claims with the credit card company in question. Some cards also provide coverage for damage/loss/theft but the same due diligence should be performed.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I always get Apple Care with my iPhone. It is well worth it, especially if you don't like cases.;)

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If the rumors I heard are true, 1 OoW replacement will be $10 US more than the AC+ down payment plus 2 replacements.

7. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I have nothing but good things to say about AppleCare. About a year into my iPhone four it suffered a small drop after which one of the microphones ceased to function. Thanks to AppleCare I got a brand new phone straight from an apple store. No tussling with Verizon extended warranties. No mailing phones around. I made an appointment the same day and was in and out with a new fully set up phone in a few minutes.

But it sounds like you fared okay last time so you might never need it.

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I'd rather have it, and not need it, than needing it, and not having it. ;)