Should I get applecare for the powerbook?


edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
I would reccomend on a desktop, but on a notebook I'd say it's a MUST!
If something goes wrong it'll be VERY expensive without it.
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
AppleCare is much more than just the tech support phone calls. It's also free replacment parts and labor if something goes out during the three years, which has the potential to save you a great deal of money.
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I typically don't buy it with the computer. If the computer has a lot of problems durring the first year if free applecare I will buy it. They will notify you when your free year of applecare is about to run out and give you the option to extend it.

I fortunately haven't had any problems with any of my macs requiring applecare. The only problem I had was when I first got my B/W G3 and matching monitor the monitor had dirt on the inside of the screen. I took it to the local Apple computer store and they sent it off and had it fixed.
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,320
1,609
I just purchased an iBook/ComboDrive...

and I opted NOT to get AppleCare. It was $250 on top of a $1299 purchase. While the service is nice... I think in 1-2 years if I had a repair that was going to cost me more than $250, I would consider just upgrading anyhow...

If I had gotten the Powerbook, I may have reconsidered... but it didn't seem worth it for me....

arn
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
I wouldnt get Apple Care on an iBook, iMac, or even PowerMac... but you simply MUST get Apple Care if you buy a PowerBook.
 

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
1,721
0
I agree with the comment on waiting. It will be easier to stomach the cost later.

I just purchased a Powerbook, and I opted not to pick up the apple care. I am going to wait and see if the money will be worth it after I have used the laptop for a while. If I have any problems during the free period I will extend my time then. If I use my powerbook all day eveyday (probably very likely) I will extend the warrenty.

If I have paid My PB off and Apple has a reason to upgrade, I most likely will not renew and use that money to buy another laptop.

Those are just my reasons, but it really depends on if you like buying insurence or not. That really is all that it is.
 

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
1,070
0
BKLN
Originally posted by MacBandit
They will notify you when your free year of applecare is about to run out and give you the option to extend it.
Really? You're kidding? They don't do that in the UK - and our computers cost more! Apple appear to forget an awful lot over here!
 

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
745
0
Applecare is really worth it for laptops. Parts and Labor prices on laptops cost ALOT. Applecare is not just for tech calls.
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by gotohamish
Really? You're kidding? They don't do that in the UK - and our computers cost more! Apple appear to forget an awful lot over here!
They didn't call me when mine ran out last month, and I bought my PB straight from Apple.
 

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
757
0
Notre Dame
i was considering applecare for my recently purchased iMac, but will probably wait. i havent had any major problems with it, but does anyone recommend it for the iMac? i would think that if any parts had to be replaced theyd be rather expensive, because most are laptop and custom parts.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
As I already said earlier in the thread, I'd go for it.
When I bought my QuickSilver I didn't go for it at the time, but six months later once I'd paid for the Mac itself, it was the first thing I did. It's a nice feeling to know that no matter what happens over the next 3 yrs Apple will sort it, including collection, parts, labour and return.
 

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
854
5
CA
I got a reminder from Apple for Applecare

I bought a 550 Mhz Tibook last year, and i recived the Apple Care reminder, but I decided not to spend $350 for an old powerbook . I think its not worth that much anymore with the introduction of new powerbook,instead i can save $350 towards my 1ghz tibook with superdrive.
 

Somebody

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2002
43
0
NYC
Does anyone here have any experience with laptop insurance? Specifically with that provided by Safeware (http://www.safeware.com).

They're quoting me $96/year for a $3000/zero-deductable plan that covers things like theft and accidental damage, which AppleCare doesn't seem to cover. Since I made the decision to switch to a laptop as my primary computer, and probably carrying it all over with me, I've been thinking about something like this. $96/year for that level of coverage seems like a pretty good deal.

Anything I should be looking out for? Any other companies I should consider? I did some looking around via Google, and found that a fair number of apparently-reputable organizations (schools and such) recommended them.
 

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
621
0
i have an ibook and i will definitely be getting apple care. you need to ask yourself how long do intend to own the product? if you intend to upgrade, it doesnt make sense

the main reason i am getting it is in case the screen goes out. that is the big expense
 

ArtMan617

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2002
166
0
Princeton, NJ
I got AppleCare on my key lime iBook SE when I got it about 2 years ago and I've never been more glad that I did. Just recently my screen basically got worn out and colors got funky...I called up Apple, they sent me a box to put the iBook in within 3 days and then I shipped it out and I got my iBook back 2 days later, good as new, and without any cost to me! Also, if you order other things along with the product you get AppleCare with, I believe they're covered...I had bought a Pro Mouse back when I got my iBook and the wire got bent or something, so the connection wasn't working and I Apple just sent me a new mouse, no questions asked! So, even if that wasn't part of AppleCare, it's just another example of Apple's good tech support...

-ArtMan617
 

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
1,070
0
BKLN
Originally posted by Somebody
Does anyone here have any experience with laptop insurance? Specifically with that provided by Safeware (http://www.safeware.com).

They're quoting me $96/year for a $3000/zero-deductable plan that covers things like theft and accidental damage, which AppleCare doesn't seem to cover. Since I made the decision to switch to a laptop as my primary computer, and probably carrying it all over with me, I've been thinking about something like this. $96/year for that level of coverage seems like a pretty good deal.

Anything I should be looking out for? Any other companies I should consider? I did some looking around via Google, and found that a fair number of apparently-reputable organizations (schools and such) recommended them.
Yeah my dad had a G3-400 Powerbook *(bronze) and it fell and the metal table went thru it's screen. The household insurance got it all fixed. It's about $40/yr in the UK. It's covered worldwide on it's travels too. Beat's Applecare!
 

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
582
0
Los Angeles
I highly recommend AppleCare........

without it, I would've paid for 2 logic boards, 1 hard drive, 2 LCD screens, and 2 new casings all by myself

Whenever something, even tiny, goes wrong with your computer, you just call apple and say, "Hellooo, Apple? Yes, umm....my computer is broken again - can you fix it NOW!"
 

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
757
0
Notre Dame
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
I highly recommend AppleCare........

without it, I would've paid for 2 logic boards, 1 hard drive, 2 LCD screens, and 2 new casings all by myself
sounds like youve had some serious issues with it. what kind of computer is it?
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
OK

I just bought an ibook, I didn't opt in on the applecare but how long is the original warranty, someone mentioned opting in later how does that work? Do you get applecare included for a year then you can choose to extended it and bu ya 3 yr package?
 

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,111
0
San Diego, CA
Re: OK

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I just bought an ibook, I didn't opt in on the applecare but how long is the original warranty, someone mentioned opting in later how does that work? Do you get applecare included for a year then you can choose to extended it and bu ya 3 yr package?
Yes, that's how it works.

1 year automatic with the machine, which can be extended to 3 years total. You can't (AFAIK) buy the extension at the end of the term and get 3 more years, you only get 2.