Should I get iPad 1 then resell if am able to afford 2nd gen at a later time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, May 16, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So basically right now I'm looking at the 1st gen iPads as that's all I can muster up and afford at the moment. In order to get the iPad 2 I'd need at least an additional 150-200 bucks after taxes.

I am planning to get the iPad and once I have got an extra couple hundred sell the old an upgrade. Going this route kind of makes sense to me since there is huge backorders almost everywhere for the new one.

The big question though what will I get in return as far as resale value on a refurb 1st gen? Do you guys think at least a few months down the line I'd still be able to get about 300? The refurb comes with a 1 year warranty if I sell it before that warranty is up would it be valid for the future owner how does that work?

2. deeddawg, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Kinda tough to predict future value. With six models of ipad1, some may still fetch $300 (64gb/3g), lowest end perhaps not. It's a guess though. Big unknown is (a) when iOS5 will come out, and (b) what features it will give to ipad2 and not to ipad1. If there is a significant difference in support, the value of used ipad1's may plummet. If there isn't, then it may not. No way to know at this time.

The key question though is what do you NEED an ipad for in the first place? Will an ipad1 fulfill that need sufficiently, or will an ipad2 be better suited? That's the first thing to answer. Then figure out if that NEED is sufficient to buy now or keep saving up -- if your ultimate goal is an ipad2, may be best to just keep saving. Buying an ipad1 will result in sunk costs in screen protectors and case(s) which won't transfer and you won't get money back out of when reselling.

If you do choose to go with an ipad1, then rather than refurb, may be better to buy a used ipad1 on craigslist that has warranty for longer than you anticipate keeping it. There's a spot on apple.com where you can plug in the serial and it'll tell you -- google "apple warranty check"

Warranty transfers with the ipad, so whether you buy used or refurb, when you sell it to someone else they will get the remainder of any warranty.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I agree that the big question is whether an iPad 1 will fill your needs or not. If it will, then personally I think you'd do fine to buy one and then wait for the 3 to upgrade. If it doesn't, you're probably better off just continuing to save up for a 2, and by the time you can afford one they'll be more available.

4. Smug Boy macrumors member

I currently have an original iPad and aside from the built in cameras I don't see any big advantages in the iPad 2, therefor I am holding on to mine until the iPad 3 comes out. I really don't see any resale value in these once the next generation is released.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

That's because you have your eyes closed! ;) Double the speed, double the ram, thinner, faster graphics. (For someone debating to choose 1st or 2nd, I'd say 2nd. However, upgrading from 1 to 2 is probably not worth it) To the OP, buy the time you'd have saved up to resell the 1, you'd probably want to go with the 3rd gen. Apple tends to follow a closely annual refresh process.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I would say dont even waste your time on the 1st gen ipad when you know you want the 2. An iPad isnt something you need, its something you want. Just save up an extra month or two and buy one off someone on craigslist. Thats what i would do. Why buy something, use it and know you are going to lose money on it? Makes no sense.

7. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I gt an iPad 1 then upgraded a month later.

All Apple products hold value so check the old IPhone 3G on eBay they still go for £200. I don't don't see the old Iapd falling too much in price.