Should I get iPhone 4S now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ADAADW, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ADAADW macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hey all

So I've been reading all of these complaints with the phone (yellowing screen, batterygate...) and while I know there teething problems I'm wondering if I should wait another month to see if a newer batch corrects these issues. The thing is I also have my contract coming up in the end of December so I'll need to know what to do so I can look to getting a new phone and new plan. Any thoughts on this move? I know it almost a lottery but I I had the same concerns when the 2011 mbp's came out so I waited 4 months and my laptop is running perfectly. Any advice is great! Looking forward to the new phone as this will be my first iPhone!

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Not everybody has had issues many don't

My 4s has been great in all areas and I got my 4s over a month ago.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Battery Issues

Are the major gripe...Since it's software related, and Apple are working on it, I'd say go for it. My 4S is perfect apart from poor battery life, but that will be fixed and it's a great phone.

4. Blakey. macrumors member

My 4S is excellent in terms of screen and battery. The only thing that concerned me at first was the vibrations it put off when I'd get a text. But upon further research, they are using a different vibrating mechanism than the 4 and it is inherently louder so far as I can tell. I mostly just wanted a different color, so the other things(Siri, better processor, better camera, etc) are just bonuses.

5. SandboxGeneral, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My 4S is outstanding. I have no issues with it at all now.

I had the battery problem, but 5.0.1 fixed it for me.

If you wait for the perfect phone to be released, you're going to wait forever and never get it.

6. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Remember, on forums you will most likely only read people with problems (because that is what forums is all about, helping each other). So reading about someone who has a fault free phone is not really gonna happen, at least not anyone would start such a thread, only thing you'll notice is people responding to threads like this that they have phones that is problem free. Remember there is millions of 4s users out there, most part doesn't have a problem at all.

I don't have any problems either, runs smooth, looks good, battery's fine.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Get it now!

8. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

iphone 4 and 4S is the same , everything the same just 3 big different

. siri talk
    . wifi web run faster
    . camera 8.0

other feature is not pretty much the same ....not necessary to play

9. M Quick, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Don't listen to this guy, he honestly believes getting a 32/64GB iPhone 4s has longer battery life due to the added storage, even though all 4S has the EXACT same battery inside, lol.

You're missing a lot of things.
    The 4S also has dual core a5 cpu
    MUCH faster graphics
    Faster memory
    The camera is not only 8.0mp, but has obviously a better sensor that is better on everything. Also does 1080p video.
    Faster data connection.
    Better antenna (better call quality)
    Louder speaker

And some more things..

10. xdbuix macrumors 6502

ahaha i remember when he said that about the battery. If you're willing to wait for another whole year, then wait it out. The 4s is a great phone to get, esp since it can be ur first iphone. It's just not as great as an upgrade if you're upgrading from an iPhone 4.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

You can wait it out another couple of months to see what develops with this new phone.

Your contract may end, but then you go month to month until you get a phone that's right for you. Read all the threads, specially the ones with issues to see if you are making the right move. Get the phone from Apple, turn it on at the Apple store, and see if there are any glitches at first so if it's broken, turn it in for another immediately. ;)

This is an issue I want to see resolved....Fast

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404857?start=0&tstart=0

12. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

if you already have iphone 4 , you can download ios 5 and work like 4s

4s is little bit faster ,other wise pretty much the same ,

camara 8.0 is nothing , are you gotta shot picture everyday
    1080 hd is nothing , are you gotta watch your phone in tv all day
    speaker louder , are nothing , louder easy mess up later

iphone 5 will be the best one in 2012 , apple want to make fans happy release 4s , there is behind iphone 5 almost done for 2012 it's real iphone ever ....

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

LOL at that .. so up close and personal :D :D :D

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I wouldn't characterize 68% faster, and faster than even most current Android phones, as "a little bit faster," nor "pretty much the same."

The whole point of having a good camera is that you can take pictures whenever you want. And yes, I'm taking far more pictures - every day in fact - than I was with the iPhone 4. And while it won't replace my dSLR, I am picking it up less often.

No, but some people want to share videos shot on their iPhone, and 1080 looks stunning on people's desktops and display screens.

What does this even mean?!

This has been true of every iPhone release. If you wanna go by that reasoning, then why even buy the iPhone 5? The 5S will have significant improvements in 2013 sometime. Or actually, you really should wait for the iPhone 6 in 2014, because that will be even better. But then again, why bother because the 6s...

15. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Right on!

There is no reasoning with this guy, what he says is obviously facts to himself without understanding the technical aspects of things and how they really work to begin with. I don't think he realizes what hardware difference the 4S has vs the 4.. Or at least , that is what comes out of his mouth when you read his replies.. Poor guy.

I just wish he could be more open minded and see what's actually right.

16. forcetactic macrumors 6502

This. Unless you're an iPhone fanatic, you will not care/notice much difference between the 4 and 4S unless you actually put them side by side. If you have a 3GS, there's a noticeable jump

17. ADAADW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Hey everyone

Thanks, these really are some good points (this always happens when a new iphone comes out, millions of iphones out there..). I like the idea of going to the apple store but my closest one is all the way in Toronto (canada, eh?) and i would probably be calling my carrier to sort out a new contract, therefore it would be mailed to me. I can always send it back if it has an issue, but ive heard you get a refurb phone if you do send it back, Is this true? Regardless still looking forward to my first iphone!

18. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

The phone you will receive if you get a replacement will ALWAYS be like brand new. You can't tell if it's been refurbd :)

19. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agreeing with the previous poster, you'll rarely see a poster talking about how happy they are about their phone. You'll only get the ones that have problems which happens to be the normal part of the process.

As far as the battery problem, it's not a hardware problem it's software as Apple has implied with the update. I don't really see the point of waiting, your odds of will be the same. Also, you can't guarantee you'll be getting a newer batch. My brother preordered and got #39, my friend and I ordered and received ours 4 weeks later and got the same build.

As for me, I have no problem. There really is nothing wrong with that I can think of. It's practically perfect for me.

20. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Get one if you want one. These issues are most likely fewer than it seems. You are just reading a forum where they are all consolidated.

22. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Battery FOR ME is an issue. it's much worse than the 4 but I've been told it's software related.

As far as screen issues, mine was significantly more warm (yellow) than my 4.. but truthfully after a week I'm completely used to it and any true videophile will tell you that screens should be on the warm side. Cool screens depict an inaccurate picture.

Take a look at AVSforums.com and check out how a calibrated TV actually looks... it's a far cry from the cool blue's you seen in best buy to catch your eye. Subdued and warm, but realistic. I've noticed my pictures especially look very vivid on this new screen.

23. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Does it hurt anyone elses head when your reading the posts by iphone4s16gb? lol

I had the 4 and now the 4S. My wife still has a 4 and I use both hers and mine sometimes and I do notice the speed difference quite a bit.

My battery life is as good if not better then the 4 I had as well!

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Got any aspirin?? :cool:

25. DianaDiana89 macrumors newbie

i think you should go for the iphone 4s . it is a very good phone