Should I get the iPhone 4 now or wait for Hardware Antenna Fix/January Announcement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamzab, Dec 20, 2010.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Question is in the thread really.

Should I wait or Get?

Also, I have sold iPhone's in the past before like a month before the announcement of the next iPhone and generally have gotten quite a good price for them. However, with the Antenna problem of the iPhone 4 do you think I can quite a get good price?

Thanks!

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

If you're so concerned, you should probably wait.

*The antenna issue hasn't stopped iPhone sales. I wouldn't worry about it.*

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

What hardware fix and what january announcement? huh?:confused:

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Exactly. Non-thread....

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Was thinking the same thing.

The iPhone resale value is alway going to be high so don't worry about that

6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yep. It's called the iPhone 5. Comes out in June or July. That's only if Apple decides it's worth it to "fix" a non-existent problem.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Exactly.

There won't be a hardware change in January.

Now, there might be a Verizon announcement in January (MIGHT) so if that's interesting to you I'd wait a few more weeks just to see what happens. But that's the only reason.

Also, be prepared for a January announcement that's something like "Verizon iPhone coming in May" or something like that.

9. iphone3048 macrumors member

HAHA, NON existing problem FOR YOU!
    Really man this problem DOES exist. It happens to me alot when i'm in a low reception area. Even when the reception is great I drop calls here and there with full bars and standing still.

And I hold it properly, soft around the trouble part. The only way I get fewer dropped call is using bloody electric tape! I HATE cases and I should NOT have to use one to fix a bloody mistake apple made.

10. 6daniels macrumors member

your mistaking the iPad, the new iPad is released in January:p

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Let me emphasize the part of your post that disagrees with your own post.

If you have full bars then it's NOT the antenna issue causing it.

The "antenna-gate issue" is when holding it causes the phone to drop bars. If you have full bars then that didn't happen.

I get dropped calls with full bars too. That's called your carrier sucks and has nothing to do with "antenna-gate."

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I was not able to replicate any signal loss on any of the iPhone 4's I tested. I think yours would be fine.

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

14. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

15. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Yes there is signal attenuation when you bridge the gap, happens to my week 40 or so 4, and when it is naked it doesn't hold onto 3g as well as my 3GS did (when you touch that area).

BUT, I have mine in a case and it is fine.

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Based on Apple's history I would think we are getting the iphone 4gs or whatever incremental upgrade/naming they decide on, the iphone 5 will probably be next year.

As for the "non-existent" issue it's very real for a lot of us, although certainly not anywhere near a deal breaker as some make it out. I very very highly doubt there will be any kind of "announcement" that it's fixed, although certainly there will be some changes (if there haven't already been).

17. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

If you want a new iPhone now, get the iPhone 4. The antenna BS has been blown completely out of proportion and really isn't worth the fuss. If you want to get the iPhone 5 (or whatever they're going to call it) for whatever new features and capabilities it is going to offer, wait it out for half a year.

I wouldn't bother basing the decision on the iPhone 4 antenna.

18. rk1991 macrumors regular

the antenna problem is an issue for some, including me. however its not a major one and it was definitely blown out proportion.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

lol...you've been saying that since July

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What announcement on January...

If you want to go by what those idiot journalists were saying since 2007, about Verizon iPhone coming blah blah. Feel free to wait. Antenna fix is totally different issue and it is way out of proportion. Does problem exist? Yes. Is it over hyped? Yes.

iPhone gets updated every year in terms of hardware.

21. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

And it gets funnier every time.

22. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Yeah, you can definitely attenuate it by gripping in the right area. I actually did have a spot in my previous home where I even lost a phone call or two for that reason, but the funny thing was that the outside antenna allowed me to keep more of those phone calls in the low signal area (as compared to my previous 3GS). None of the other forty or so iPhone 4 users I know have ever complained about it. They were just curious.

I suppose if someone somehow does become a part of that small percentage who says they do have problems with it there's always a bumper or a return. I've just never seen the problems those (typically non-iPhone 4 owners) like to complain about.

23. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I doubt anything major will be announced iPhone-wise in January. iPad updates and MBP updates are the talk for January. An antennae fix MAY be in order, but without rebuilding the phone, that would be hard to fix. I would think it would be a firmware update anyway, so even if you bought it now, you would get the fix either way.