should i go for this deal on ebay for mbp i7, 8gb ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ansabakhan, May 27, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i need a macbook pro with few upgrades

if i configure macbook pro on apple.com i am getting this configuration for $3100 + tax

where on ebay i found the same thing for much less ... but i have never bought on ebay before is it save to place bid on ebay and use PayPal for payment? i am hoping to save $300 at least if i won .. it is a good deal?

here is the auction i am watching

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380236643324&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That seems to be good deal, ~500$ off the retail price. I would say it's up to you, if you're comfortable with buying from eBay, go for it.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks for a quick reply ..what do i lose if i buy from ebay? the auction says sealed in box so thats as good as getting it from apple ... what is a disadvantage i might face

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

He might not accept returns or give replacements gut otherwise I can't think of any disadvantages.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

hummm i just checked this sellers feedback ... he looks decent .. i might try my lucky, just that i never bought any thing on ebay before thanks

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Paypal usually freezes the funds in his acct (or gives you recourse) UNTIL you leave positive feedback
    or for at least 14 days. Just be sure to file a complaint promptly if its not as advertised. His feedback
    looks ok.

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks for the info , if i win i will make sure to check it out as soon as i receive it . thanks

8. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I have the same computer with an ssd either way you go you will be happy with it.
    It is very capable.
    Only problem is trying to find a case that fits it properly.
    :mad:

9. Sossity macrumors 6502a

deal on ebay

you can do so at your own risk, when I looked at the link, the item had already sold, but, I had a very bad experience with ebay with a fraudulent seller. They never sent me my mac, I bid for & payed & everything. Luckily, I used paypal, & ebay got me a refund. It was a hassle, I had to open a case through ebay & make a claim.

Some things to look out for; feedback, make sure there is plenty of feedback & that it is positive. Look at what other items the seller is selling, my mistake was I did not do this before I bought from the seller, afterwards I looked, & the only other things they had for sale were DVD's. Make sure they are selling alot of other similar items or have good feedback. Dont buy from someone who only has about only 30 or more feedback, 100+ is better. Better yet, buy from a top rated seller.

Also ask the seller question before you buy, like the receipt, you will need this to get apple care. That is another area of murky water, whether they have registered the computer with apple, where they are at wit the warranty.There are all kinds of pitfalls, if a listed mac says new, it may have been taken out or switched, you just dont know if someone is being honest, & you cannot take it back, like with a store.

So from now on, I dont think I will be getting a mac from ebay, no matter how good the deal seems, but only from the apple store it'self, or from an authorized reseller.