Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
So I've had my 6 plus for about 5 weeks now. I started with 8.1.1, upgraded to 8.1.3, then to 8.2. Once it was on 8.2 it was almost unusable. There were so many bugs and I was dropping emails from my work account. I went in and they put a fresh 8.2 on there and voila! No more quirky bugs, it was pretty smooth. Even swiftkey worked no prob.

I went to 8.3 last night and ugh! It's slow and clunky and touchid only works under certain conditions. Sometimes there's a multi second delay when I hit the home button before the screen shows up.

I'm considering taking 'er back in for a fresh one. The Uptown store here in Mpls is really good.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I've had my 6 plus for about 5 weeks now. I started with 8.1.1, upgraded to 8.1.3, then to 8.2. Once it was on 8.2 it was almost unusable. There were so many bugs and I was dropping emails from my work account. I went in and they put a fresh 8.2 on there and voila! No more quirky bugs, it was pretty smooth. Even swiftkey worked no prob.

I went to 8.3 last night and ugh! It's slow and clunky and touchid only works under certain conditions. Sometimes there's a multi second delay when I hit the home button before the screen shows up.

I'm considering taking 'er back in for a fresh one. The Uptown store here in Mpls is really good.

You can just restore in iTunes and it will install 8.3 fresh. Seems much easier than having to go to an Apple Store.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
May want to try a DFU mode restore as well. That will give you that "fresh image" of 8.3 that you wanted. I believe a regular restore from iTunes just wipes all the content from the device.

To do a DFU mode restore, do the following:

1.) Plug the offending device into a computer with iTunes running, power off the device like normal (hold power button, slide to power off)

2.) once the device is powered down, hold down the home button *and* sleep/wake button. After exactly 10 seconds, let go of the sleep/wake button (I suggest getting a stopwatch running to help you out on timing)

3.) keep holding the home button down until the "Recovery Mode" message pops up in iTunes.

4.) after that pops up just proceed with the dialogue box, then click "Restore Device". From there everything is automatic.

The screen of your device should be completely blank when you are in DFU mode, if it says connect to iTunes, that is recovery mode and that is different.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Are you doing installs off the computer or direct to the device. I'm wondering cause a wifi hiccup is the only thing I can think of for getting what sounds like a bad install twice in a row.

Try backing everything up and doing a restore via your computer. The DFU mentioned is possibly unnecessary but it's only like an extra 30 seconds to the process so why not. However if you weren't installing via computer you could have a wait for the software to download and your phone won't work while its in DFU mode. So plus it in, select download only for the update prompt and then when that's done, double check that backup and toss the phone in DFU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.