Should I go to see a genius? Help me on my irritating mpb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrispholt, Jul 22, 2010.

1. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Ok guys, I got my mpb nearly three weeks ago after 2 years of saving up....
    Really excited and got it just two days before I went on holiday.
    During my holiday and more just now (as I have been using it more) I have noticed some annoying "problems and flaws"

1. I choose the anti-glare screen, the left side of the lower part of the bezel bumps out a little. This is annoying as I paid a lot of money for it. See pictures.

2. the hard drive has got very noisy, it clicks and clunks all over the place. It was silent when I got it even after I put a lot of data on it.

3. I dont know if this is normal so dont fry me. When I scroll (Not fast) everything, especially images flickers very fast. Also flash videos "stutter" ....

4. It seems to have slowed down a lot, and when I open a few programs( photoshop and lightroom, chrome) It lags a lot, which it didn't when I started my holiday.

Please can someone helps me as, This took me a long time to save up for and Im getting irritated. I may be picky, but I think £1600 can warrant that,

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, you've had it for 3 weeks, I need to first ask did you notice that the screen bezel was poking out when you first got it? In terms of performance issues I would recommend that you reinstall Snow Leopard but for the screen bezel you should take that up with Apple, it needs repair or they may possibly replace it.

3. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks.
    I I am actually planning on purchasing a momentus xt when they arrive in the uk. So I will re-install then.
    And I noticed the bezel on the second day, my family told me to shut up and stop complaining.... Do you think that time will effect my claim against apple?

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

I think this may be a known problem, particularly in Firefox. Try using MRoogle, and search for "tearing Firefox" or "tearing 320m" or "stuttering" etc. Lots of useful info there. I don't know what the fix is.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, I sure hope you meant, your claim TO Apple. :D. If you bought it from an Apple retail store they might exchange it since it's only 3 weeks old, although the return period is 14 days. The worse case would be that they would just replace the screen, either way you won't lose.

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I reckon that if you aren't happy with your purchased product, you should return it. You payed lots of money, and supposedly Apple wants "every single customer to be happy". Let them make you happy.

7. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

HI thanks.
    And yes my claim to apple :rolleyes:. I am actually really happy with my macbook pro all round, it is my first mac.

I dont think that I have the tearing issue, it happens on videos however.

Also I did not buy it in store as it was built to order, will this effect the repair or replacement (I dont want to get a worse one).

Also, when I go to a genius does anyone know if they look at the name who bought or the name it is registered in. As my brother bought it on this account and his credit card, as I do not have one?

Thanks again.

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It will affect replacement time - if it was a standard unit they would swap it instore or ship one within one day, BTO units have to come from China.

9. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I have a XT in my 15" 2.53, and trust me you will blaze through everything. No worries.

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

11. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

I had a very valid reason, it would affect resell value.

Anyway I have gone to the apple store and they agreed it was not acceptable. They have ordered me a new top half screen and bezel.....
    So I think that was fair, maybe I will get a better panel as well :D

So the rest the guy didn't seem to care as it was very busy, you obviously couldn't hear the hdd in an apple store.....
    However he said that when I have to do the 45 mile trip again to get the bezel replace he will do a asd.... DOnt really know what it is. I am guessing it is a check of some type.

So all good to an extent.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy a momentus xt 500gb in the UK? They seem to be like gold dust.

Thanks

12. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and what made me chuckle was that the genuis said "well its only cosmetic"

I just thought, Ok only a cosmetic flaw from a company that invests a lot of money and time into how things look and why people buy their products ( and other things..). I dont think Jonny Ive would be happy. Or he might not care, but he is British :D