Should I go with Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamer216, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Dreamer216 macrumors newbie

I'll be getting the new iPhone 5 this November, and I'm wondering which carrier to go on. I live in Brooklyn, NY, and all three have great service where I live according to people I know. I'm currently under T-Mobile.

I'm a college student, and I have a part-time job, so I can afford a monthly bill. And I'm using a student discount my school offers for At&T.

If I go with At&t with a 5% student discount I will pay:
    $105.49, which is the individual plan with unlimited texting, 5gb of data, and 450 rollover minutes (I'm not a big talker).

If I go with Sprint it will be $80 with unlimited data and texting

Verizon $100 with only 2gb of data.

It looks like I'm getting the most with At&t and Sprint, but Sprint doesn't have LTE in NYC while At&t does. Verizon is the most expensive for the least amount, which is a ripoff. But their service is reliable, while I heard Sprint is great where I live but spotty. I'm leaning towards At&t because it has 4G and LTE, and I get a discount, but I'm not sure which is better. And I travel in NY quite often, so that's also a factor.

2. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

3. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

4. Dreamer216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why did you?

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

After being a longtime AT&T user, I switched to Verizon this time around. I also pay $100, but with that comes free hotspotting, free facetime over cellular, the largest LTE network for when I travel, not to mention an unlocked iPhone out of the box. For 10 dollars more you can get 4gb of data btw.

6. Dreamer216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sprint or At&t?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd go with AT&T. Best price to service ratio, I think. If not that, then Verizon.

FYI you might be over estimating how much data you'll use on cellular. On my iPad, I generally end up using only 150 MB on my plan, and I thought I did a lot of stuff on it. :eek: I dunno.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Bolded for responses

9. Dreamer216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points.

I might get my parents on it, and split the bill in a three way, which will be 60 each, not bad for at&t.

I'm interested in Sprint because it is the cheapest service, where I live its decent, where I got to school its horrible. Which was why I said its pretty spotty.

And that map did help a lot, since its looks like its strong for Verizon and At&t. So I'm leaning towards At&t if I do the shared plan with my parents, with 4gb ( since I happen to use about 2-3gb a month on T-Mobile.