Should I Jailbreak my Iphone 4s based off performance and warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatGuy007, Apr 8, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I love my baby (i literally treat it like a baby), Kevin 4s Junior, ok so anyways I've always wanted to jailbreak my phone for IntelliScreen, Cool Tweaks, and their is just too much Apps to buy (Draw Something, Angry Birds Space, Infinity Blade 2)! First of all, if i sense something slowing down my phone and I delete it will everything be 100% restored or fast again? and if you restore back to normal, will every single thing be gone and it will be the same speed and cpu before I jailbroke it. Last thing, I am going to fix my power button this summer, will Apple detect any hardware differences, even if I restore it as a new Iphone and clear all content settings; will they still detect it was jailbroken.

First Post and Thread in macforums! But I read many. I am glad to be here to join the forum.

2. socalif macrumors newbie

an obvious thing, but don't forget to never plug it in to your mac unless it's "jail-break friendly"

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Your hardware warranty is not voided. Apple will not decline to fix a hardware defect due to the fact that your phone is jailbroken. With today's jailbreaks it is exceedingly difficult to "brick" your device. In the "olden days" when JB took half an hour I convinced myself many a time my device was bricked. It never was...

I'm not even sure what this means... I have never done anything special to my Mac and have been jailbreaking since forever and a day. :confused:

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4S is currently on 5.1, I've never JB'd my phone before and the JB for 5.1 isn't out yet...

Assuming the untethered JB comes out for 5.1 and I decide to roll along with it, is it possible to sync my JB'd 4s to my iTunes still?

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Restoring to an earlier backup via iTunes will remove the jailbreak and its settings.

Even if you jailbreak the apps/tweaks within Cydia are mostly paid for too to support the developer. Other repo sources are piracy and will not be discussed here for fear of censorship by the moderators, which on balance, is right as we need to support these guys and gals for their work.

In regards to lag its not the jailbreak that does this.
    For most their is no lag. For me winter board caused a slight lag which was resolved by installing the tweak 'barrel' and 'fakeclockup'.

I would suggest you seek out more information regarding jail breaking by searching this forum, and others along with watching utube videos.

The key is to do some homework before installing a tweak to ensure it does not clash with what you already have. And not to go wild by downloading everything in sight too !

There are plenty of threads regarding top tweaks etc to give you a head start.

One word of warning tho !

Once you have jailbroken you will be hard pressed to ever return to stock :D

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

They can definitely refuse to repair your device if there's a problem if they found out that the iPhone you handed in is jailbroken. Software can push the hardware to its limits and when you jailbreak it further than what normally would be the case.

7. socalif macrumors newbie

When I plugged my JB iPhone into my Mac and opened iTunes my phone went dead. The store explained that it nulls JB iPhones..

Don't know if I'm unique like that, but that's my xp

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No, they don't do that anymore. And if they did, you would actually have a legal case against them. Something like your sleep/wake button isn't going to break from a jailbreak. At worst, they ill restore the phone to confirm it is still broken. If it is, it's not your software that did it. But don't take my word for it, look it up.

----------

I have never, EVER, heard of this happening. I plug into my macbook air weekly, with latest version of iTunes running a a jailbroken 4S with 5.0.1. I seriously think you were misinformed.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I'm not saying they won't repair your phone when that's the case, but let's say uhm the A4 or A5 chip burned through because you overclocked the CPU and GPU (because you had jailbroken it). Than they can refuse you any service. You ran software that caused the malfunction.

And if that's the case, they will any lawsuit you'll throw at them because than it's your fault.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Let's think logically, for a second. If the phone was overclocked and fried (as in your example), the thing isn't going to boot, and restore, so it is just going to look like a dead phone to Apple anyway.

Let's also not forget, that for the overly paranoid, you can also always restore the phone before bringing it in to the Genius bar.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

WoW thats a first !

Sounds like bull to me tho. :rolleyes:

Certain tweaks/apps can be made to stop, by streaming sites, but this can be worked around by installing a tweak.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It was just an example. It could be anything. It comes back at the same thing: if the software pushes the hardware too much (more than it was intended to), and they find out than they can refuse service.

And don't answer with crap like "yeah, but don't be overly paranoid because you can just restore it." As I said: if they find out, than they can refuse it. If they don't find out, no worries.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Listen. They have to prove that some alteration you did to the phone is what damaged it. They can't just say "it was probably this". Take them to court, do it. It's not worth their time to fight something as stupid as that. Had they won the fight to make jailbreaking illegal, we would all be singing a different tune. Fact is, that didn't happen. There is no software you are going to put on your phone that is going to fry it. There just isn't. Sorry, they can not refuse a hardware defect based solely on the fact that your phone is jailbroken, whether you want to believe it or not.

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Pff, you are not listening, are you? I specifically told you, multiple times, if they found out that the hardware defect is your fault. What is so _not_ clear about that? That's not a 'probably'. That's a "it's your fault and we know it, we've got prove." So YES, they can refuse a repair if you jailbroke your phone which caused a hardware defect.

And there is enough software that causes computers (yes, a smartphone is a small computer) to malfunction (hardware). It really is a common problem.

15. lordofthereef, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am listening. What I don't understand, then, is how your statement is relevant. You responded to my statement that simply jailbreaking your phone is not grounds for them to deny a repair. This is true. If they find out your overclocked it, urinated on it, or sent it on a space shuttle to the sun, the damage is your fault and thus not covered under warranty. Thing is, that is not what we are discussing, and it is also not what was asked by the OP. The act of jailbreaking will not void your hardware warranty. Fact.

EDIT: Based on your other posts, I have concluded (hopefully accurately) that you are not in the US. Sadly, I don't know if anything that I said applies to you, wherever you may be. I should have clarified. I was referring to the situation here in the US.

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

^^^^^^^^^ If he only knew how true this is.

I have jailbroken well over a 100 devices on macs and pcs alike.

I have had a couple of issues but nothing where the ipod touch or iphone was completely dead. A few times I simply left the device on and let the battery drain then DFU and was back up and running.

Most of the issues I have seen are from people installing things that they should or removing items that are dependencies for cydia.

Everyone that asks me if they should jailbreak I simply say yes, go to this website and follow the instructions, if you have any issues call me. if they want me to jailbreak it for them I ask for a $20 fee. usually after I show them I tell them to keep their money.

OP do a back up, of course make sure you back up contacts too.
    Give it a shot, if you run into problems and can't get an answer shoot me a PM. Chances are you will have no issues other than wondering what to download and pondering why apple is so damn reluctant to allow people to enjoy such wonderful features.

Don't forget about the icloud

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The act of jailbreaking won't void your warranty. But we were discussing whether or not a jailbreak can cause Apple to refuse a repair - and to that the answer is yes.

The act of jailbreaking won't void your warranty. The consequences of jailbreaking might void your warranty - and that's what we were discussing.

18. lordofthereef, Apr 8, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If they prove some modification caused damage, yes. That goes without saying, of course. He implied the jailbreak will void his warranty. Effectively, it will not. They also won't refuse a repair, unless there is reason to believe software alterations are what damaged the device, but that is still their job to be able to demonstrate, should you take the matter to court. (As I mentioned in a previous edit, I speak for the US. I realize you are not in the the US, perhaps things are different where you are).

In any case, this back and forth is pointless. OP, don't overclock, and you're good. Case closed. :cool:

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

If you can't recover or restore your phone, it is unlikely apple will be able to either.
    Even if they can they will first ask you if its ok to restore it.
    that will wipe out the JB

20. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Think I would get annoyed to quickly having to use an non-jb'd iPhone, sure you have all the cool stuff to make the UI look better (Barrel etc). But there are so many legit programs that Apple would/will refuse to do that make the phone much more efficient and better to use.

Wouldn't be worried about warranty, simple fix to that, if you have to bring the phone in restore to remove the jailbreak.

21. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the Info Guys, (this forum is already good)
    As you realize this isn't my first jailbreak, but people say what software is depending on the speed of it? So which is the fastest, Redsn0w, GreenP0ison, or Absinthe for my 4s? So just to make sure, if it start to lag and I remove the problem, will it be 100%?

----------

And from your opinions, should I really jailbreak my 4s? Can any users tell me if they experienced anything unusual. I just to want to have a little fun with my phone then with boring regular stuff on my phone. The worst thing is the performance and battery (the 4s battery is bad enough), and as the software pushes your Chip will it ruin it
    4eva :eek:?

22. bandofbrothers, Apr 8, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You will have to use Absinthe for an iPhone 4s.

Download Absinthe A5 tool – (Mac OS X) (Windows)

Why do you think the software will push your chip ?
    Don't worry it will be fine.

It sounds like your about ready to jailbreak and need a little push !

Heres your push,

Do it and start to enjoy the iPhone as it really should be anyway from stock.
    Don't go crazy downloading everything in site ,and do a bit of research on a tweak before you download it to see if it has any compatibility issues with other teaks you already have.

Give it a week and you won't go back to stock.

You can completely remove the jb by using a restore before jail breaking thro iTunes and or setting up as new.

Just do a full backup before you start.

Now hook it up and get on with it and enjoy.

Good enough push for you ! ;)

23. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I am ready to jailbreak, Really nice push more than enough to get me started. But Unfortunatly I have 5.1 and they didn't release it yet on 4s (their was one where you had to pay, but i am pretty sure its a scam). and if I was winterboard lock/homescreen themes, will it slow it down the 4s to maybe the power of A4 (I maybe exxagerating a lil), also any cpu problems with Intelliscreens or tweaks I shouldn't install or I should watch out for? (if it is too much of a problem, or crashes the phone)
    Thank you for all your answers, I am ready to jailbreak!
    :D

24. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nvm about I didn't find 5.1
    I found redsn0w
    but is Greenp0ison Absinthe better?

----------

oops nvm, thats tethered, and that is just too much to need your laptop to turn it on. I guess I'll have to wait.

25. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If you do get any lag then download the tweak 'barrell' which is a known remedy.

Not everyone gets lag. Winterboard is a known culprit.