Should I just ditch my unlimited data plan with verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

So I'm leaving the country for about 18-24 months this december for business. I'll be jetsetting all over several countries in South America, Europe and Asia for work. I currently own an iphone 5 with the unlimited data plan with verizon. I'm not sure if it's even worthwhile to keep my plan with verizon when i'm gone during that time. I'd be paying about 70$ a month for about 6 months of the year, because I will be using the suspend service:

"When selecting “Other” as your reason for suspending your service, your line will remain suspended for up to 90 days. For each line of your account, you can only suspend your service for up to 180 days in a 365-day period."

in other words, I'd be paying about $420 every year if I suspend it for 180 days of that year.

I'll be using Skype, and the iOS messages and facetime to talk with family and stay in touch with them through wi-fi connection.

anyways, just want your thoughts and opinions. I know verizon is the worst wireless phone company when it comes to going abroad and overseas.

T-mobile is probably the best one because they offer unlimited data and texting in over 120+ countries, (then again the signal and speed of data will be extremely slow)

I just want to know what my options are. I know it's hard to do away with the unlimited data plan, but I think I should just terminate the service with verizon.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Why not sell the plan on eBay to have someone take over the account instead of letting it go for nothing?

Could probably get a pretty penny for it since Verizon just announced they wouldn't be throttling after all...

3. winterny macrumors 6502

Another thing to keep in mind with T-Mobile is they will pay your ETF if you have one ... but you won't be able to sell your unlimited plan if you do that.

As far as I know, to sell your unlimited plan, you must sell your whole account (including the phone number)

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Have you called and asked what options are available that might not be on the website?

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Is that a good idea? Isn't your credit rating attached to that? Don't think they would let you change the name or ssn on the account would they?

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

It's not just a change of name and ssn like they go into your account and just do those changes. It's an assumption of liability to another person. They would be essentially taking over the line just the same as if they were to walk into a verizon store or online and opening a new line in their name so all responsibility including financially would be theirs.

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

If you would clarify the "they". I take this means the original account holder remains liable. Even if the eBay purchaser racks up crazy charges.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

'They' is the person you are authorizing to take over the plan and NO the original owner will not be liable once the transfer is complete (aol). That's the point I'm making. Like I said. It's just like if a person was the open a new line of service for themselves except this way the voice (possibly text) and data (udp) already is in place.