Should I just suck it up? or Call customer service? - 3 MBP repairs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ellabaker, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ellabaker macrumors newbie

I've had my MBP repaired three times now...

I got it as a gift mid 2009 in the States. I had no reason (at the time) to double check that all the parts were working as it was brand new and right out of the box.

To my dismay, a few weeks after departing the states to study abroad I discovered that the Optical drive was not working at all. No burning, no reading, nada.

Because I was abroad - I couldn't get it checked out and learned to live with it for a year. By that time other parts of the computer started crapping out, my keyboard stopped working as well as my trackpad. I also kept on getting severe shocks from the computer. My battery was giving me repeated warnings.

Needless to say, when I got back to the states I went straight to Apple to sort it out. They denied that there were issues with the trackpad and that getting electical shocks is normal (eh?!). But I had it sent in for repairs for the battery and optical drive. When I get it back, the entire bottom case was replaced as well as trackpad and keyboard. So, boo to the Apple Genius who was telling me I had no idea what I was talking about.

Keep in mind at the time I had just graduated school and had loads of deadlines for job and grad school apps so it was a real pain to not have a computer. They also lost my computer, so it took about two weeks for me get it back (3 hr drive to go back and forth and getting told that they did know where my mac was)

You'd think that would be it. But then I started getting graphics display issues, webcam wasn't working, my fans weren't working, speakers weren't working, sluggish etc. When I finally get the time to go back to the Apple store (months later) - the genius is as befuddled as I am. She takes it to the back to run tests. Lo and behold, the repair guys from the previous apple store had forgotten to reconnect the wires properly to all of these parts.

The biggest concern then, is that my computer just spent months without fans so any overheating that happened could have severely damaged my logicboard and other parts. I asked what my mode of recourse could be and she said there was nothing that could be done. So I hoped for the best and left.

Months later (again) right before my warranty goes up - I'm noticing issues with the MBP. It was sluggish but there was nothing I could really point to, just the fact that I could tell something was off. So I went in to see what could be done. After telling my story, again the genius was shocked but nothing showed up on preliminary tests. She decided to keep it overnight so run some more intensive testing (after some insistence on my part). Then without telling me what was wrong with it or any detailed explanation I got a call the next day asking me if they could send it out for repairs. OK sure.

A week later I get the computer back (mailed) with a replaced Logicboard, Display assembly, and Bottom case. There was no explanation and after calling tech support they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. It leaves me to believe that it has something to do with the mistakes from the previous apple repair.

So to date the repairs have been

Optical drive x1
    Keyboard + Trackpadx1
    Displayx1
    LogicBoardx1
    Bottom casex2
    Power Adapterx3

Now, my warranty is done and I've lost complete faith in this computer and in Apple. I really want to ask for a replacement but I'm seriously concerned that I might end up with another computer that will crap out on me. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other mode of recourse for this? Is it typical to get credit back for botched jobs from Apple? Any suggestions?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You'll most likely won't get into more trouble after they changed most internals and display with new ones, hopefully this time they did a good job.

As for the shocks, it is "normal", all Aluminium Apple Laptops have this, partly because it is aluminium but also partly the blame of the power company.

Where I am from the Common wire is connected to the grounding at the point of entry in the electricity meter, this will equalise the common with the ground, plenty of countries or houses don't have this so the common wire is not 0 Volts.

This is not dangerous but it can be annoying, the best way to prevent it is not to use the Laptop when you are bare feet on a tile or concrete floor.
    Apple's laptops are not grounded, no need to since it is low voltage and separate from the net.

3. Ellabaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, here's to hoping. I just can't shake off the feeling that a month from now my poor old MBP is going to crash and burn and at that point there will be nothing I can do.

I've sunk in 2.7k for it
    I've got specialized software on it that's worth well over 2k
    and there's been at least 1.5k in repairs

It's a lot of K's and in return all I've gotten is a questionable product and repairs : /

As for the shock, what you say is true. That's what I was told too. At the same time, after they replaced the top of the bottom case - I haven't gotten any shocks and I don't feel the same electrical vibrations I used to get from the computer's surface. Same electrical source.