should I just wait until Fusion drives supported?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by MrMister111, Sep 27, 2017.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

I have a late 2012 iMac running Sierra on. I've heard of some bug in keychain, not sure if applies to me. But I do have a fusion drive, and I know that its currently not supported for the new file system, maybe coming later. So should I just wait for the next update when its supported, or upgrade now?

Any benefits of doing it now? or any negatives of doing it now, for anyone with similar machine? late 2012 iMac, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB. Its probably getting a bit long in the tooth, its not used loads, but is needed. We have iPads, iPhones and use those mostly.

Also just read that a time capsule won't work with new file system? really, Apple have released this update and a lot of Apple hardware isn't even going to work with it?

Thanks

2. FCX macrumors newbie

FCX

I've just updated my 2013 iMac (did a full clean install) and seems to be running nicely on HFS+. I plan to convert to APFS once Fusion drives are supported.

Leave your Time Capsule alone, it will still work just fine - even if you convert your iMac to APFS.

3. rayward macrumors 68000

I have a fusion drive, and I'm going to wait until HS is updated to convert fusion drives to the new file system. Doing this update in two stages makes me nervous.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Some say yes, some no. Wonder if I'll even see any difference in anything I use, or any speed boosts?

Is Photos app any better as this is probably what I use most?

Thanks

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Photos syncs faces now with iCloud Photo Library, so for that feature I've upgraded my Late 2012 Mac Mini with Fusion. No ill effects.

FWIW I also have Drobo, DropBox, 1Password, TeamViewer, TextExpander, and Parallels.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

So does that mean as a fave, or go through library on iPhone, it will reflect the updates when back on my Mac?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Fully synced, to other macOS 10.13 and iOS 11 devices. I started identifying faces on my iPad after installing iOS 11, and then when my Mac Mini got upgraded I continued working on it from there.

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra/ shows the new Photos features, there are actually quite a few. But that's the one I've been waiting for.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for link. I ideally wanted to hold off until fusion support, but there's some features in Photos that would help so I may upgrade. What version does Photos show now?

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan