Should I keep my iMac and buy a Macbook or sell and buy a better Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sunshine.jessie, Feb 6, 2010.

1. sunshine.jessie macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I currently own a mid-2007 iMac (20" 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram) and now have a need for portability, to bring into school (high school) once or twice a week this year, and probably every day next year. I'm also going to need it for university in two years time, though I could upgrade again.

What I'm trying to decide is whether I should sell my iMac and buy the best 13" Macbook Pro I can with my current budget when it's updated, and also buy an external screen and keyboard and mouse, or if I should keep my iMac and buy a lower-end Macbook (perhaps the current or previous model since it'll be discounted once the upgrades come) to use for school and studies? Is there any point in having both an iMac and a Macbook? I'm leaning more towards getting a really decent MBP atm because I guess I can get all the advantages of a big screen with an external display but I'm still wondering if I should keep my current iMac since I'm pretty attached to it (my first mac! :p). Keeping my iMac would reduce the need for all the extras. Also, would selling and buying a MBP be an "upgrade" or a "downgrade" in terms of power and speed?

My uses for a laptop would be: -Working on a research project at school
    -Internet research
    -Pages, Keynote
    -Giving presentations
    -Composing and recording music

My main uses at home are: -Surfing the internet, Facebook
    -Checking mail
    -Listening to music
    -*Occasionally* playing Sims
    -Composing music on Sibelius
    -Word Processing
    -Organising photos

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I say get the Macbook Pro. It would be an improvement over your iMac.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, getting a MBP and a screen to use at home would be your best bet.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just do what a lot of people do, buy a laptop and if you need to, have an external monitor.

5. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

If i were you, i'll wait a little while Apple release new MB and MBP improvements to get the best