Should I keep my Macbook Pro 13" or switch to an iPad and HTPC (f.i. Mac Mini)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reiger, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Reiger macrumors regular

Ok, I need your help. This is a little different compared to all the other MBP threads...

I've bought an iMac 21,5" in november and I absolutely love it. The screen real estate and the the better ergonomics make it a pleasure to work on, compared to my Macbook Pro 13" (base model, mid 2009).

Because of the iMac, I only use my MBP hooked up to the TV to watch my favorite TV shows using Plex (mediacenter software). That works great, however I hardly use my Macbook Pro for anything else. That seems like a waste. It was way to expensive to use it just for that. I only take it with me a few times a year. I can't use it while watching a TV show, so I (sometimes) browse the internet using my iPhone.

The new iPad seems better than I expected. I love the fact that it's so light and small. I think I would / could take it with me all the time. The 2 kg of the MBP is just too much. Anyway, since I use my Macbook Pro only as a HTPC, I'm thinking about selling the Macbook Pro and buying a dedicated HTPC. That could easily finance both the HTPC and an iPad.

However what am I missing?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Nothing. It's sound plan (and what we decided to do as well).

3. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

You don't feel you are missing out on the features of the iPad compared to the Macbook Pro?

I don't think I will, but some things you only miss when they're gone :p

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. The only "maybe" would be if, on the occasions you do use the MBP as a portable, you're doing something that it's significantly better suited for.

That is, if you're doing a lot of typing on it, you might end up feeling constrained by the iPad (of course, you could also just get a wireless keyboard--that plus an iPad is still smaller and lighter than a 13" MBP). Or, if the times you take the computer out you do so because you want to edit video or run Photoshop or work in a web IDE or something, then probably a bad idea.

Apart from those sort of "high end" use cases, though, I'd go with lighter and easier, personally. Same reason that, were I a person who traveled a lot, I'd almost certainly have a 17" MBP (which I already have, and serves mostly as a desktop for which the desk is the coffee table in front of the couch) and an iPad, for use based on what I needed to do while I was out and about.

Mini makes a great HTPC-, by the way--I'm using mine for that plus a file server, and it's been flawless serving MKVs, Quicktime videos, ripped DVDs, Hulu/other Flash video, and Silverlight streaming to a 1080p TV and home theater sound system.

5. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought about the "heavy" on the road use... But I mostly use my Mac's for light work such as web browsing, mail, iWork and iLife. Sometimes I like to do some gaming or photo/video editing, but never on the road. The only other thing is a Keynote-presentation. But I've owned a Macbook (Pro) with miniDisplayport for almost 1,5 years, and I haven't even bought the necessary adapter. I only needed it once...

When I have to do some real work I can use the iMac or I can use it's bluetooth keyboard :)