Should I keep Navigon on Newly acquired iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sunsean, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Just bought a recently received refurbished iphone 4, in perfect condition, jailbroken. I wasn't going out of my way to buy a jb iphone, but it's the best deal I found on a great condition phone. Anyway - it came with this app "Navigon" already installed. When I look up the app in the App store, I see it costs $50. When I plugged the iphone into itunes it asked if I wanted to update. I know doing this will un-jailbreak my phone, so I held off for now.

My questions are: a) can I update it and have nothing wrong happen besides losing my jailbreak? Will the phone still work fine? b) if I update I assume I'll lose the Navigon app, correct? c) Should I keep the app? Is it good? That's one thing I will miss about Android, the great built-in GPS turn-by-turn navigation, so if this is a good Apple replacement, I may have just lucked out...which leads me to my final question, is there any way to update the os and possibly lose the jb and still keep the Navigon app? I don't need all the jb tweaks necessarily, I don't mind using a vanilla apple experience for awhile as it's my first iphone and I want to enjoy the stock experience before messing with it too much. But I have a feeling I want to keep that Navigon app...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you won't be able to keep the app unless the previous owner gives you his itunes user ID and password.

3. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So you're saying I can use the app as is now without updating, but if I do update I'll lose it...? Looks like I'll give it up. I want to have the most up to date os and all that, and have the full experience.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I wonder if you do a ' transfer purchases ' [ in iTunes ], and then update, whether you'll be able to restore Navigon!

Might be worth trying since you're already willing to let go of the App.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I believe you can only do that if iTunes on the computer and iPhone are using the same account.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That won't work.
    It's someone else's app and user account.
    It won't sync or transfer to a library that's not authorized with the same iTunes login.

8. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, thanks for the info. I could always try getting the log-in info from the guy I bought it from, he seemed nice enough. But he isn't a friend or anything, and I know I wouldn't freely give out my itunes log-in info or any other log-in to a stranger...oh well, not a biggie. I won't let 1 app get in the way of my overall user experience. Was just wondering if there might be a way to update the os and freeze/save and restore the app after. Like I said, I'm coming off a few years of Android so still learning all the ins/outs of ios.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can try asking him but I wouldn't give a stranger my iTunes login and password. Would you?
    Then they can download and charge anything they want to your account.

10. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, no of course I wouldn't, which is why I probably won't even ask. Best case scenario, if I were feeling especially generous, I might give it out and then immediately change it after he got what he needed, but even then I doubt I'd do it for a stranger.

Like I said, no biggie. Just doubt I will ever spring $50 for any app, so thought it might be worth trying to salvage. I mean, I can't imagine a more essential app than Garageband, and that only cost $5.

11. JAT macrumors 603

You are comparing this app to free or $.99 apps that do some little thing, or games. That doesn't always work.

Navigon or TomTom are fully functional gps apps with downloaded maps that can replace a standalone gps unit, even when out of 3G cell range. To get the same functionality, you'd have to spend over $100 on one of their gps machines. How does that pricing compare?

OTOH, you can get Telenav for $10/year, which is close in functionality.POIs are great, the finer points of the gps UI are not as good.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Navigon is a great app.
    To me the convinience of having something like that on my phone was well worth the money.

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

Just to let you know that navigon occasionally has big sales. I bought navigon when it went down to $25 or something like that a little while ago.