Should I leave a MBP on and plugged in all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnyepu, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jnyepu, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

jnyepu macrumors member

Just got a new 13" MBA and will be picking up a 27" iMac over the next couple of weeks.

My mid-2007 MBP 2.4 SR workhorse still works fine (multiple battery swaps thru AppleCare and 2 logic board replacements for what I perceived to be suboptimal battery performance).

Now, unplugged, it'll give me 2-3 hours of solid Internet, Microsoft Office, Facebook, maybe a little iTunes type stuff (on another note it's in a clear Speck case and has a keyboard protector and I always wondered if that added padding makes it run hotter = crappier battery life).

Anyway, with the new computers, was thinking about setting up the MBP in a little nook in our kitchen, plugged in and on/sleep mode all the time, to serve as an Internet appliance, "quick need to get on the computer" device.

Will I help it die a slow/quicker death by using it in the above fashion, or are there folks out there whose MBPs have survived and work well being used in this way?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You'll be fine. Leaving it plugged in will have little effect on the battery life. Also, the machine gets hotter, because Li-on and Li-Pol run more efficiently at higher temperatures. There is nothing to worry about, although if you are concerned, you could just remove the battery if you are really concerned.

TEG

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios