Should I move to AT&T Shared Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rocs, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Rocs macrumors member

Currently I have a Discount at AT&T and have 5 phones and 1 Ipad on the account. As you can guess i have a whopping bill ~ $275/month (includes taxes)-1400 shared minutes and unlimited texting... I am wondering if I should move to Shared data? I priced the shared data plan and I would go to the 10GB plan with 5 phones & 1 ipad costing $250 + Taxes (might turn out a little less than $275)... I guess this would gain me "mobile hotspot" and "unlimited calling" but dunno if really worth it since mine and my sons phones are unlimited data...

Here is more of a breakdown

iphone 4s + Unlimited data (mine) I use about 1.7 -3gb
    iphone 4s + unlimited data (son) uses 1.5-2.5gb
    iphone 4 + 2gb data (daughter) uses between .5-1.5gb
    windows phone +2gb data (wife) uses sub .5gb
    iphone 2G (no data) For my mom for emergency
    ipad 2 +2gb data (mine) uses 1-1.5gb

I am shooting to get wife daughter their upgrades to iphone 5 and take my moms line to upgrade me to iphone 5 for the LTE speed ..... I assume my wife would burn more data on an iphone .... I could also not hook up the ipad, saving $10 and mobile hot spot off my iphone and get LTE speed instead of 3G on the ipad....

Just looking for opinions ..... appreciate the feedback...

2. Rocs thread starter macrumors member

3. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I would wait a few months before doing the switch.

Like you said, with the faster LTE speeds, you and your family may burn through data more quickly and those unlimited plans will be a godsend.

If, after a few months (more like 6 to get an accurate measure), you are all consistently using 2GB or less each, then consider the 10GB shared plan.

4. scootaru, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

scootaru macrumors 6502

Are you sure your math is correct?

Phones - $200 (5 x $40)
    Tablet - $10
    Data - $80 ($100 - 20% discount)*

Total = $290 + taxes

*Corporate discount only applies to Data package. Source

EDIT: Forget everything I said. Numbers reflect Verizon's Share Everything plan.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I wouldn't give up your unlimited data unless you can save more than $5.

6. Rocs thread starter macrumors member

Dang I just realized using the upgrade on "grand"moms phone will cause it to have to get the data plan for $25 more.. Putting current plan at $300 now :( where as 10gb shared plan will be $250+ tax/fees and 15gb shared will be $280+ tax/Fees. I will stick unlimited for a few riding higher$ but if not using to much I'll jump down to $10 gb or even with 15gb...since I like te idea of let on iPad by way of mobile hot spot from iPhone...

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You should be able to drop data on her line once you activate the phone on your line though. Unless you are using some kind of loophole that will be exposed because of the upgrade.

8. Rocs thread starter macrumors member

Hmm as far as $290 vs $250 on the 10 gb package I was told my 25% off. So 25% of $120 was $30 discount.... So $90 + $150 ( 5 phones x $30) + $10 for ipad2 = $250

----------

I gave here my original iPhone 2G that she just leaves on counter for emergencies (she is 80) and they (att) list it as iphone 2 but don't appear to care since edge only...

9. scootaru macrumors 6502

You are right. I ran the numbers for Verizon.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Probably no answer as you just need to add up all the numbers. either works, or it doesne't.

(probably doesn't)